Tags/leg bracelets for my chickens

Quote:
Thanks very much!
thumbsup.gif

Thats a good place to get them

. I broke down and bought some numbered bandettes from Meyer Hatchery. The bandettes are better than the spieral ones, they can get to tight. I also use zip ties on my little bantams. Works good, just make sure they are not to tight when you put them on. they need to move some. as long as they cant get them over their foot they wont come off. BUT you cant put them on the younger chickens unless you remember to check them regular and c=remember to cut them off when they get to tight.

I bought the white numbered bandettes from McMurry and colored 6 of them with sharpies so I could id my RIRs from a distance to determine which ones might need a "time out". The zip-ties just aren't big enough to be visible from a distance.

I was thinking of putting some sort of bands on my chicks when they got a little older, they are 2 weeks old now. How old should they be? And also I was wondering-- will the other chicks go after the bands or do they eventually get used to seeing them and just ignore the fact that they have bands on.

Lorain

Just wanted to thank everyone for all of your input! I love being part of a forum with such helpful people! Thanks again!
big_smile.png

The only thing to remember with zip ties is that you have to change them as the bird grows if you aren't using them on mature birds. If you forget and it gets to tight it can actually cut your chickens foot off. Not a pretty thing. It has not happened to me personally but I know someones chicken who it did happen to. I had them on my cochin chicks and since it was concealed I kept forgetting about the zip ties (out of sight, out of mind). Well, anyway, one band had left a mark around the chicks leg by the time we thought about it and we are blessed that we did remember or we might of had a one legged chicken.
We have seen plastic numbered colored leg bands at poultry shows and did not get any. Wish we sure would of gotten some. Could of used them when the chicks were hatching this year. Here is a link from a catalog I got a poultry show. They have leg bands. http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8_24

Quote:
Thats wat i use lik Roxy-blue Midge-pink Hermione-green Chul-yellow (Chompieoux french for chompy and buffy are ones without tags. Chompieoux is a RIR and the only RIR without a band. Buffy is the only white one)
thumbsup.gif
haha sorry for going into great detail...

Sweet handmade leather bracelets for chickens are available by going to www.featherware.etsy.com. You can even have your chicken's name put on the leather, or your phone number so she can be returned if she ever gets lost!

I signed in today to find info specifically about zip ties! We have just 7 hens (3 different breeds) which we think if as pets. The kids have named them all but can't really tell them apart! I was thinking of zip ties and just writing their names on them with a sharpie. I was just wondering how durable they are, how well they actually stay on, and whether or not the hens mess with them. What are y'all's experiences? Thx!!

Back
Top Bottom