Tail feather bleeding

RebinNH

Songster
Jun 15, 2022
Do duck blood tail feathers heal once broken? I really cannot pull this out on my own and have no one to help. I washed it yesterday - very traumatic! To catch her, I had to trick her by opening the coop, which she loves to go into and spend time (normally free range with that door closed), even during the day. She's the one who runs away from the drake into the neighbors yard, as well. It looked good for the rest of the day but today as she came out of the coop I realized it had bled again over night. Not as bad as before but still should be cleaned up again (not sure I can catch her, with how she runs from me and I don't want her to feel the coop is not a safe place). You'd think I was slaughtering her when giving her a nice warm bath in a small tub. I came out soaked and pooped on from all the flapping and (muscovy) clawing! Suggestions? Should she be fine if I just leave it?

if you are not going to pull it, keep her inside and watch her so she does not bleed to death.
I know it sounds dramatic, but I really believe you can do it yourself if you really had to. There are detailed instructions available. but sometimes they can stop bleeding. I’ll see what I can find and perhaps @HeritageFan can help

Last edited:
It did stop bleeding - at least there is no more extra blood today. I would not attempt that myself, as she goes absolutely crazy when I try to do anything to her - even when I tried to wash the blood off. I would be risking damage to my person trying to do that myself. Also I don't actually know how to tell which feather it is.

Back
Top Bottom