tail feathers fell off in deep of winter!

The tumor was a large black scabby thing oozing blood. It was pretty far gone by the time I discovered it, and it was only her losing those tail feathers that caused me to look. Early stages it might look like lots of tiny dark sores, sort of like black pepper sprinkled over the skin.
i hesitate to ask....did she make it the poor thing? Meanwhile thanks so much - tomorrow i am going to go take a look

No. Edith must have had cancer inside, too, and she became sick and in a lot of pain. I euthanized her. She had a good life. She had been abandoned by her owner, being left behind when her moved, her flock had all died. She was alone when a neighbor caught her and took her to the animal shelter in Albuquerque, NM. A friend who worked there called me and I drove the NM to pick her up. She lived with me for maybe four years. She was a BO and I called her Edith. She is immortalized in this article I wrote for BYC. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/

No. Edith must have had cancer inside, too, and she became sick and in a lot of pain. I euthanized her. She had a good life. She had been abandoned by her owner, being left behind when her moved, her flock had all died. She was alone when a neighbor caught her and took her to the animal shelter in Albuquerque, NM. A friend who worked there called me and I drove the NM to pick her up. She lived with me for maybe four years. She was a BO and I called her Edith. She is immortalized in this article I wrote for BYC. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/
Aw that is the sweetest story. You are the same type of person as I am. When we moved in to this house in August, the previous owners had four pullets and they didn't want them so I was so excited. We built them a mansion coop and run - they are now the luckiest chickies alive LOL. Meanwhile I went out there and checked her bottom today and hark - there are pin feathers galore! So...I guess her top half molted in December and then her bottom half decided to wait til spring! She likes the Mullet look!

And PS I am bookmarking your article for if we get new chicks later. Your Edith looks just like my Butter Nut and Fancy Pants. Love the buffs and their big bad fancy selves. Edith was a lucky ducky (well, Chicken!)

Back
Top Bottom