Tail feathers

Goreboy

Hatching
Jun 11, 2017
Just got a Spanish Black Tom and his tail feathers are all jacked up! New to this stuff so need help. What can I do to get his fan back to looking good? All feathers are still there but are broken off or just mangled from being in cage at the market. Also, how long till I can turn him out of the pen and he doesn't run away?

It's normal for tail feathers to come out here and there, they'll regrow back but in the mean time I suggest I think it's called show bird feed or something, sometimes you can find feed for healthy feather growing at the tractor supply etc.

It's normal for tail feathers to come out here and there, they'll regrow back but in the mean time I suggest I think it's called show bird feed or something, sometimes you can find feed for healthy feather growing at the tractor supply etc.
Thanks. Most are still they just broken off. I'll go pick up some feedback this evening.

They will grow back...don't stress out over it.

My toms have fought so much this spring that they all look half bald.

I think I need to eat a few tom turkeys but since they are pets, I just go to the grocery store.

They will grow back...don't stress out over it.

My toms have fought so much this spring that they all look half bald.

I think I need to eat a few tom turkeys but since they are pets, I just go to the grocery store.
Thanks. Just didn't know if they would grow back since they were broken and not pulled out. They are content for a while but then begin to pace back and forth at the fence. How long before I let them out and they won't run away? Only have one tom and one hen. They are in a 10'-10' lot.

Thanks. Just didn't know if they would grow back since they were broken and not pulled out. They are content for a while but then begin to pace back and forth at the fence. How long before I let them out and they won't run away? Only have one tom and one hen. They are in a 10'-10' lot.
What they mean is that the feathers will grow back when they molt. The broken feathers will stay broken until they are replaced by the new ones after the molt.

Back
Top Bottom