1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tail wagging

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chiquitita Farmer, May 21, 2011.

1. Chiquitita Farmer

Chiquitita Farmer Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    My Ameracauna, Robin actually looked like she was was wagging her tail today. She swishes it side to side. Has anyone else seen their chickens tail wag before? She is supposed to be a female. But her tail feathers look awfully long to me. Not sure if this is normal in an Ameracuana. She is now 11 weeks old.

2. Lyssa

Lyssa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    My girls wag their tails regularly, I think it's cute. [​IMG]

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    yes, it's normal. they are just shaking out their tails. that or trying to get their balance. it isn't like a dog, they don't do it because they're happy to see you. chickens have other ways to communicate that [​IMG]

4. dapperp

dapperp New Egg

May 21, 2011
    My Americana has a long tail but no wag yet. She's 4 months old. My Andalusian wags her tail. She looks so sassy!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Content, healthy, happy chickens wag their tails. I really feel that it is more an expression of attitude rather than a balancing maneuver.

1 person likes this.
  6. Chiquitita Farmer

May 18, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. Not sure what she was doing. But yes it was cute.

7. old geezer

old geezer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    cambridge , ny
    [​IMG]---when my buff orp had her chick --she would wag her tail from side to side when the chick did right--and the tail would go down as she ruffled up and scolded the chick--that was the only time she would do this--now that she is weaning the chick --the side to side wag is all done---hope this helped

8. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    i find that if i gently tug on a tail feather i will get a waggle. its super cute

9. Chiquitita Farmer

May 18, 2011
    I had just given her one of her favorite treats. An overripe banana. Maybe she was telling me she was happy about the banana. I watch and see if she does it again next time I give her one.

10. peep this

peep this Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2010
    our girl nancy drew [​IMG] wags her tail often we find it rather endearing she has a rather big tail compared to the other girls but since she lays the only greenish brown eggs shes definitely a girl XD i think its all genes

Last edited: May 22, 2011
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by