1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Take Two... hen or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by newtochickens4, Nov 22, 2015.

1. newtochickens4

newtochickens4 New Egg

Oct 10, 2015
    Massachusetts
    We got 2 chickens from a local farm that turned out to both be roosters. We brought them back to the farm and they gave us 4 chicks. They said they were week old RIR chicks and sexted at a day old, all female. We have had them now for 8 weeks and one of our "girls" has a much larger comb than the other three and tends to ruffle her feathers a lot. Is this a hen or a roo?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I hate to say it but that looks like a cockerel :(

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Cockerel.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x3 RIR/Production Red rooster. Sorry.
    LofMc

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    That is a cockerel - unfortunately, the birds would have to have been "vent sexed" and there is a 5-15% error rate with that method even by the most experienced sexers due to the complex nature of the sex organ structure of day old males and females.
    Comb/wattle aside - see the dark, glossy feathering that is developing on this bird (ie across the wing) - that is characteristic of males.

6. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Rooster

7. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Given your bad experience thus far with getting surprise males, OP, I would suggest that you consider sex links (black or red) or one of the auto-sexing breeds of birds so you can avoid yet another unhappy surprise.

8. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Alternatively, purchasing "started" birds can be a good route to go - you pay a bit more for the more mature bird, but the certainty of gender is money well spent, imo, for someone who has already had such a bad string of surprises.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel

10. newtochickens4

newtochickens4 New Egg

Oct 10, 2015
    Massachusetts
    Thank you everyone. We brought him back to the farm and they gave us a 7 week old. Now our 3 girls left are running the new one. They are keeping her in the coop away from the food and water. Also the 3 we have left have started chasing each other and fluffing their necks. I am so afraid that these are males too. Any help would be great!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not the best pictures of our other three but the best i could get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by