Taking chickens to a vet question

It is nearly impossible for the intrinsic value of a chicken to be worth taking it to a vet. Some people do it because of the sentimental value of their chicken and because they can afford it. The vet knows this as well as anyone. So, in a sense then, the vet is preying on a person's sentimentality. I think the vet's code of ethics should require them to at least point out that the sick chicken could be replaced many times over for what they are about to charge for an examination.

It is nearly impossible for the intrinsic value of a chicken to be worth taking it to a vet. Some people do it because of the sentimental value of their chicken and because they can afford it. The vet knows this as well as anyone. So, in a sense then, the vet is preying on a person's sentimentality. I think the vet's code of ethics should require them to at least point out that the sick chicken could be replaced many times over for what they are about to charge for an examination.
I'm sure you could also replace your dog or cat for what you you would spend on most vet visits.I sure could. The most I've ever spent to acquire a dog was $150, and all of my cats I've gotten free. Those of us who look on our chickens as pets, feel that we have a responsibility to care for them to the best of our abilities. For some of us, that includes vet visits for things that we can't resolve ourselves. As for the vet, their code of ethics requires them to treat animals, not based on how much they can be replaced for, but on what that individual requires to be healed. Yes, I have taken chickens to the vet, and I will again, if I feel they need it. My vet treats me and my chickens with respect. Unlike your ridiculous post.

I agree. I like my chickens and will care and keep them healthy as possible but in the event they'd need a vet for something I can't treat, I'd rather put her down. I can't afford it and if I could, I'm not sure I'd want to, they don't live long enough to justify it. I live paycheck to paycheck. But my chickens aren't pets, they're livestock, if they were pets, I might feel differently. If someone wants to take their chicken to a vet, great! If you have a vet that's knowledgeable, that's rare and fantastic!
I don't. Like most people, the nearest vet that would even see a chicken is 2 hours away and changes 'exotic' fees. On top of gas, that's easily $500. People shouldn't belittle others on how they handle their animal's illnesses, some people don't have the luxury of funds or good vets available, some do and choose to use vets, no problem with me either way. Our local livestock vet will come out and put down animals of all kinds, he's very kind and knows not everyone can get their animals into town for the vet and few can stomach doing it themselves. I'd rather my pets died at home in their baskets, instead of on a sterile metal table, in a cold, strange room. But that's me, I don't expect anyone to like my mentality. I've witnessed time after time on here, where someone has gone to the vet for their bird and the vet gave horrible advice since they simply don't know about poultry (not their fault, chickens are a new kind of pet and not expected on the daily roster of cats, dogs and horses), and the problem escalated. And then they don't listen to anyone else, stating "my vet said....".

Just out of curiosity-how much does it cost to take a chicken to a vet? I won't be doing that, but not judging. Just wondering.

:clap I think it's great that you are asking this question before you might have to deal with it in real life. Good for you.

I think the vet's code of ethics should require them to at least point out that the sick chicken could be replaced many times over for what they are about to charge for an examination.

Unfortunately, I don't think vets have a code of ethics, at least not the ones where I live.

Yes, I have taken chickens to the vet, and I will again, if I feel they need it. My vet treats me and my chickens with respect. Unlike your ridiculous post.

Some people treat their chickens as pets, and a vet visit, despite the cost, is worth it to them. I don't judge people who chose that option. I don't read @raingarden was judging others for paying for a vet visit. It's just not an option for them.

But my chickens aren't pets, they're livestock, if they were pets, I might feel differently. If someone wants to take their chicken to a vet, great!

I am in a somewhat similar camp. My chickens are not my pets, but they are perhaps more than just livestock. I am the vet for my chickens. I save some. I lose some. That's the responsibility I assumed when I decided to raise a backyard flock.

I look at it like this. I took the responsibility on when I got the girls and I have to do right by them even though they are "just chickens" and cheap to replace.

My approach "to do right by them" was/is to learn as much as I can to treat my chickens if they get sick or injured. I have nursed a few of my flock back to health, but just a few months ago I had to break the neck of one of my chickens that was suffering and was not going to live.

I think what helped me to put things in perspective was that I first started out with raising meat chickens that have a life span of about 10 weeks, then I butchered them. You can't/don't want to get attached to your food for the family like you would for a household pet.

Laying hens live much longer, and it's hard not to get more attached to them, but still, in the big picture of life, they don't live very long. My laying hens are now 3+ years old, but I have decided, in the future, to replace them every 2 years at which point they don't lay many eggs anymore. I don't think that makes me a cold-hearted person. It's just the economics of how I want to keep my backyard flock.

For the price of a single vet visit, where I live, I could replace my entire backyard flock 3X over. My strategy was to buy a few extra chicks when I started my flock and I was able to lose a few to illness or injury along the way. So far, that has worked out pretty good for me. It has allowed me to financially afford and enjoy my backyard flock for many years.

Back
Top Bottom