Taking it Down to 2 breeds

wow..I was just about to post to ask people this... although i bet i am not in any of your league ... My little flock of 7 girls and 2 babies... I posted to sell off one EE (who chases and harasses my young blue orp.) and also does not have very pretty green eggs.. and my SLW who NEVER comes anywhere near me.

So I have always wanted a cochin but being in the city I just couldn't have any more chickens. So I posted without thinking or telling my significant other and someone now wants to buy them and I am feeling really guilty...not because of my S.O. but because of the chickens...am I selfish to want to sell my very first chicken and am thinking of replacing her?
hide.gif

I have cut down on my birds because I am leaving for college to. I also am culling my bantam faverolles flock to 6 of the best birds + some chicks. I got bored with just one color/ breed in the coop though so I am also adding some odds and ends for fun. I am hatching silver penciled rock and black ameraucana bantams I am also probably getting a few wyndotte bantams. I just love the patterns and colors and miss them I do love the Faverolles and I will always have them as my main breed!

Good Luck downsizing hope you find good homes for everyone. I might be interested in a blue mottled duccles pullet or two
tongue.png

My version of downsizing is finally getting my 'breeder house' finished, so I can get rid of the birds that I don't want. I will have silkies, bantam cochins, OEGB, OEG, BR, and lakenvelders, but all the other mixed and off-color birds that are running around the yard will be gone. I've been keeping them all right now, cause I figure there is safety in numbers. If I get rid of the ones I don't want now, while the others are still free-ranging, then the hawks will have no choice but to take the birds I want. So once the ones I want are secured, the others can go. It should bring me down from about 80 chickens to about 30 birds. I will still have ducks, quail, and guineas, and am working on getting more geese, but as for chickens, I'm cutting way back
lol.png

Since, I have only been keeping chickens for about 8 months--I am still in the 'add mode'! BUT since we will be moving soon, to our farm --which doesn't have a coop--YET, I'll need to go slowly..

Back
Top Bottom