Taking its time from pip?

Skipper7410

Songster
Jun 21, 2019
Provo, Utah
You guys think this one is just taking its time? Maybe still absorbing? It's been like this for several hours.
20210805_234851.jpg

It's still moving and breathing, but part of the problem I have, is that in about 6 hours I have birds that will have been in the incubator for 24 hours (not sure if safe to go much longer?). There's 10 in there right now I'd like to get out but I'm worried about taking top off and causing it grief. There's also 5 or so other eggs that look like they're slowly starting to pip as well that I wouldn't want to hurt. Any ideas? Thanks

Edit:
Temps been 99.5 to 100.0
Humidity 45% until lockdown then 65%

There's now 11 in there needing to come out lol. With the 11 birds in there humidity as risen closer to 75%

Also at noon today it will be official day 18

Update: egg has a slightly bigger hole but doing same thing.

Also theres now 13 of the little rascals running around in the bator

Last edited:
If its just pecking at one hole and not zipping, its probably stuck. Help it out and take out the others at the same time. I use a little bucket to put the chicks in to take them to the brooder.

First...take the hatched ones out already.
24 hours is too long to leave them in.

Get them out and while doing so candle this egg. See if you can see in the air cell side if he is moving.

I open my incubator a thousand times during hatching. I have perfect hatches all the time. This egg isn't going to change by you opening the bator is my point.

Do you have a warm (not too hot) brooder ready with smashed up tiny feed in it?

Baby quail are constantly wiggly, but dropping them is a death sentence. That's a good reason to have a container to move them. They jump and run...
I grab one at a time...in a closed hand.

Becareful when opening the bator...the little things will try to run out. Be quick. Get one at a time and close the lid in between grabbing them.

Back
Top Bottom