Taking your chicken to the vet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bobererato, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Bobererato

Bobererato Chirping

Jul 2, 2019
    Greeting chicken lovers everywhere I have been away for awhile it in back now. Lol. I was wondering how many take their chicken to the vet. Susie has been three times now trying f to cure her upper respiratory infection I feel weird by the stares I get once the dog and at lovers realize my pet is a chicken. 20190913_143554.jpg

fldiver97, slordaz, LozzyR and 4 others like this.
  2. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    Welcome back!

There have been a few times that I've taken mine to the vet. :D

3. Rammy

Rammy Crowing

Oct 20, 2008
    Tennessee
    I work for a vet and we font do livestock but I have taken chickens in on occassion for various problems. The staff loves it.

4. Sequel

Sequel Free Ranging

I bring mine when they need it, and feel so lucky to have that option. Oh and I hope Susie feels better soon!

5. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    I'm trying to get my vet to move in with me.:)
    I always take the chickens here to a vet if I can't fix the problem myself.
    I and one other man are the only people who take chickens to her.

6. CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer Songster

Jun 16, 2013
    northwest Arkansas
    Upper respiratory infections can get into the sinuses and become chronic. She can pass it on to any new chickens you get. Kudos to you for caring enough to take her to the doctor.

7. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

I have taken mine to an avian vet at a regular vet office where people might look at me sideways, and I have also gone to an avian vet at a bird clinic where she fit right in. One avian vet we visited had a rooster in the office... the lights dimmed and music came on as he puffed up his chest and crowed for my girl!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  8. gtaus

gtaus Crowing

Mar 29, 2019
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    No poultry vets where I live. You either treat your bird yourself, it gets better on its own, or you need to cull. I suspect most people around here who have chickens treat them as livestock, not pets. So loss is expected and is planned for from the start.

9. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    no vet here that sees them but they are willing to dispense medications needed and run fecal float tests for a fee. we mostly treat or cull ourselves here.

Bobererato, fldiver97 and casportpony like this.
  10. LozzyR

LozzyR Songster

Mar 30, 2019
    NSW, Australia
    I have taken three chooks to the vet, the latter two it did not end well for them though. :hitWe have an avian vet so I take my girls to see her. When I took Lucy because she had lost her voice, a lady in the waiting room exclaimed “There’s a chicken in there!” when she saw Lucy in the cat carrier. The attention was quite nice, actually. :D When we lost the other two, they were so lovely and caring. Expensive, yes, but I guess if you are going to own an animal you should take responsibility for it. I can’t euthanise my own, so I would rather pay for someone to do it peacefully.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: