Tales of Azula the wonder chick, and her sister Ty Lee!

They have a mild respiratory infection they are seeing the vet for tomorrow so they are inside basking under a growlight today

Attachments

• IMG_20240522_084954698.jpg
    IMG_20240522_084954698.jpg
    823.5 KB · Views: 9
They have a mild respiratory infection they are seeing the vet for tomorrow so they are inside basking under a growlight today
Sorry to hear that they’re a bit under the weather. I’m sure the vet will give them great care, and they’ll be feeling better soon. And, they’re getting so big! The feathering is really coming along! Let me know what the vet says. 🥰

How are Azula and Ty Lee feeling @RandomAnarchy? I hope they’re feeling much better! 🥰
So I was right. They have a respiratory infection. Had their second dose of Doxycycline today and haven't noticed much improvement yet. Azula is apparently underweight so I'm hand feeding her raw egg yolk and will be getting fresh k*lled feeder insects as well

So I was right. They have a respiratory infection. Had their second dose of Doxycycline today and haven't noticed much improvement yet. Azula is apparently underweight so I'm hand feeding her raw egg yolk and will be getting fresh k*lled feeder insects as well
The medication will work in time. If you need to “up” their protein… just a suggestion… you could try some gamebird feed. It’s 30% protein. That will help Azula put some weight on.

The medication will work in time. If you need to “up” their protein… just a suggestion… you could try some gamebird feed. It’s 30% protein. That will help Azula put some weight on.
Yes I was thinking the same but I need them to finish the two month regime of the medicated chick feed

Both showed good improvement today so I let them back outside for the day

Attachments

• IMG_20240525_095353237.jpg
    IMG_20240525_095353237.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240525_095349293.jpg
    IMG_20240525_095349293.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240525_095350748.jpg
    IMG_20240525_095350748.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 5
@RandomAnarchy They look like they enjoyed their outside time! I hope they’re feeling better very soon. Happy little chicklets! 🥰
The vet said Azula's keel is prominent and that she's underweight. But I've heard chickens don't usually carry fat on their keels? What do you think?

The vet said Azula's keel is prominent and that she's underweight. But I've heard chickens don't usually carry fat on their keels? What do you think?
Since the vet says Azula is underweight, that can be fixed. And, he/she is being treated for the respiratory infection, so maybe Azula just isn’t eating a lot due to feeling under the weather. Continuing the medication and giving more protein for weight is going to get Azula well again. It really isn’t uncommon to feel the keel bone in chicks. But, it sounds like Azulas keel is very prominent. Get him/her eating more, and it’ll begin to plump up around the bone again. Let me know how they’re both doing with the treatment. 🥰 When do they go back to see the vet?

Back
Top Bottom