Talk me off the Ledge... $2000 for a chicken coop!

How much did you pay for your built (not prefab) chicken coop? Labor (if any) and materials.

• Free - I used all repurposed materials and did it myself

Votes: 30 13.3%
  • Less than $500

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • $500 to $750

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • $751 to $1000

Votes: 28 12.4%
  • $1001 to $1500

Votes: 24 10.7%
  • $1501 to $2500

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • More than $2500

Votes: 22 9.8%
  • I'm ashamed to say (but please do!)

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters
Pics
I think it will come down some but no where near where it was a couple of years ago. Politics of both parties. Between the new (or vastly increased) import tax on Canadian lumber and not likely to ease restrictions on logging in the US. Each could be argued as good/bad but either way, effect will be higher lumber prices.

Sitting here in the middle of millions of acres of farmed timber it's hard to believe that regulations about the logging of old growth have a lot of effect on lumber prices but I'll defer to people who are more knowledgeable about it.

But the time required to grow lumber even under the best conditions would have to play into it.

Sitting here in the middle of millions of acres of farmed timber it's hard to believe that regulations about the logging of old growth have a lot of effect on lumber prices but I'll defer to people who are more knowledgeable about it.

But the time required to grow lumber even under the best conditions would have to play into it.
I freely admit I know almost nothing about the restrictions on logging (old growth or farmed timber) and a little but not a whole lot about the industries that support logging.. like transportation. I am just very cynical about restrictions (regs, taxes, laws, selective enforcement of laws, court rulings, etc) on any productive industry in the US. Industry being defined very, very loosely.

I converted an old shed into my coop so most of the work was already done. I took a lot of material from my old run and recycled it for portions of the new run and used the 1/2" HC to cover window openings, etc. I still ended up spending about $2500 and this was in the spring/summer of 2019.
Some might say I went overboard with predator proofing but nothing has ever gotten at my flock within their pen and I sleep like a baby at night.
The way I look at it is the chickens are my main source of entertainment and stress relief. I don't go out much so I'm not spending money on that, why not on the birds? I've NEVER regretted it.
We converted an old wood shed into chicken coop. We too want to super predator proof the heck out of it! We didn’t know we would fall in love with chickens! They are 1 month old - sweetest things. We got 2 Rhode Island reds, 4 Easter Eggers and 4 ducklings. Poor husband had to make 2 separate areas - top for chickens, bottom for ducks - shared run. We also have a Dobie! Love him! Best dog! We are not done yet - Texas is getting a bunch of rain - slowing down our progress

Attachments

• 84A93256-90BC-4360-9A7E-D386E76992A9.jpeg
    84A93256-90BC-4360-9A7E-D386E76992A9.jpeg
    528.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 45483335-0E9F-4DC6-A7F1-385535535EFA.jpeg
    45483335-0E9F-4DC6-A7F1-385535535EFA.jpeg
    556.8 KB · Views: 5
I just received a quote for a 10x6 chicken coop... $2,023! I know lumber is sky high... no need to tell me that. But here is the crazy part... I'm thinking about paying it. But I honestly feel like a fool paying that much for a CHICKEN COOP! I was fine with $1500... and $1700. But $2k seemed a bit excessive. What do you think? Give me your story.
Teowanna, it is a high cost. Have you considered checking out craigslist? Here in maine there's always someone selling or giving one away. Also check out sheds on there. Same kind if deal.
We we're lucky enough to score two train type cars from an amusement park. Made of steel. We added the wood we needed and voila chicken coops. So many ideas. Check out pinterest too, there's lots of great ideas. I particularly love the trampoline one. Under the trampoline is the run. So creative.
Best of luck on your hunt.

Teowanna, it is a high cost. Have you considered checking out craigslist? Here in maine there's always someone selling or giving one away. Also check out sheds on there. Same kind if deal.
We we're lucky enough to score two train type cars from an amusement park. Made of steel. We added the wood we needed and voila chicken coops. So many ideas. Check out pinterest too, there's lots of great ideas. I particularly love the trampoline one. Under the trampoline is the run. So creative.
Best of luck on your hunt.
That sounds interesting. Please post pics!!!

Less than 600 american dollars, including a used caravan, 2k seems insane.

I'm in Europe (where caravans seem to be a lot more common). So, bought an old on, build a couple of walls, (cheap timber and chicken wire, bit of plank to keep the bedding in), lined the bottom with thick plastic tarp (for easy pest control), painted the walls with anti-pest powder. Houses two packs, with room for a maternaty/sick pen, in a normal size family caravan.
Doesn't North America have some kind of an equivalent to caravan at reasonable prices?

(should probably specify, Northern Europe, so it isn't just that things are cheaper here, actually quite the opposite)

I'm in Europe (where caravans seem to be a lot more common). So, bought an old on, build a couple of walls, (cheap timber and chicken wire, bit of plank to keep the bedding in), lined the bottom with thick plastic tarp (for easy pest control), painted the walls with anti-pest powder. Houses two packs, with room for a maternaty/sick pen, in a normal size family caravan.
Doesn't North America have some kind of an equivalent to caravan at reasonable prices?

(should probably specify, Northern Europe, so it isn't just that things are cheaper here, actually quite the opposite)
Got pics of your caravan coop @Chuck Punk ?

Also might want to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1621201121528.png

Welcome to BYC.

Do you have before and after photos of your caravan to coop conversion and measurements of it's size? :)

If I remember correctly, a caravan translated to the USA is a camper or an RV, but I'm not 100% certain that it's not a trailer. :D

Here in the US campers come in a huge variety of sizes. The smallest one at the lowest price I could find in a relatively short Craistlist search for my area is the kind that fits in a pickup bed and was $2000.
00u0u_5NV7t8ZpzoMz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

The next one on the list is a big 5th wheel type with slide-outs for $9500.
00T0T_eHzwJgbT6mz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

This is what I'd call a trailer, $400 for this fairly dilapidated one that would need repairs to get a plate on it.
00Q0Q_gzAQ8JMwS7Xz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

Welcome to BYC.

Do you have before and after photos of your caravan to coop conversion and measurements of it's size? :)

If I remember correctly, a caravan translated to the USA is a camper or an RV, but I'm not 100% certain that it's not a trailer. :D

Here in the US campers come in a huge variety of sizes. The smallest one at the lowest price I could find in a relatively short Craistlist search for my area is the kind that fits in a pickup bed and was $2000.
00u0u_5NV7t8ZpzoMz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

The next one on the list is a big 5th wheel type with slide-outs for $9500.
00T0T_eHzwJgbT6mz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

This is what I'd call a trailer, $400 for this fairly dilapidated one that would need repairs to get a plate on it.
00Q0Q_gzAQ8JMwS7Xz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
Don't currently have any pictures of mine, but the outside still looks like just an old caravan, and the inside basic avary timber walls.

Think more the cheap version of an Airstream. Attached picture isn't mine, but similar and in about the same state (but this is a smaller version). About 8 m by 2.3m-ish.

2 grand, american, for that!? Caravan coops are pretty common here, but you'd never pay more than around 400 dollars for one.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-17 005103.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-17 005103.png
    517.5 KB · Views: 4
I hope you're right. I have a lot of construction left to do on my garage and house.

I hope so. My new house needs a front landing and a back deck -- as well as some garden structures and modifications to a shed.
Same, we need work done too - old shed that's tilting in one corner, old covered open shelter near the chicken run that's literally splitting down the center where the wood has rotted. Really need to fix up both but with material costs right now, I'm just hoping they both continue to hold together for another year or two.

Back
Top Bottom