Talking about the birds and the bees

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jlw0903, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Jlw0903

Jlw0903 In the Brooder

Jul 2, 2019
    Hello. My ducks are coming up on 16 weeks. Their birthday is May 6th.

My babies have grown up so fast that I didn't even realize I was needing to have The Talk with them yet and low and behold SweetPea and my male Tokin go for a quicky this morning.

I have 2 rouen females (sweet pea being one of them)
    2 female swedish
    And a male and female cayuga

I just wanted to hear when everyone else noticed their ducks doing the dirty and when they started getting eggs since no two websites online say the same thing in terms of when they will start laying.

Also open to parenting tips on how to talk to my feathered babies about being safe.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  2. DiYMama540

DiYMama540 Crowing

Jun 25, 2019
    SW VA
    My Coop
    :gig Well you know they say abstinence is always the best prevention, but good luck with that...

Can't remember at what age my Romeo & Juliet started having relations, it was definitely long before any eggs though. My runner girl is around 5 months now and still no eggs:confused:...I want to say both ducks were around 3 months when I first noticed the mating behaviors.

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Ducks definitely mount early or at least try..They are sexual Little creatures. Has nothing to do with fertility or egg laying. Just hormones.

4. DiYMama540

DiYMama540 Crowing

Jun 25, 2019
    SW VA
    My Coop
    Absolutely agree! Seems it's the only thing on their mind...especially in the morning :gig

5. City farm

City farm Crowing

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.
    Our drake Rick started late about 9 months. We had to add more girls around a year. He was tearing up their neck’s, all the feathers gone & pretty much raw. It must of hurt the few girls he chose. We made a separate area where he had to be kept (next to all the girls) until they healed up.. We would let him out and all he would do is bother them, they would run so fast away from him, it was sad. We have 8 girl’s for him EE3169AB-AAAE-4F35-B5BA-5E43221576F2.jpeg . He is now gone & our flock is so much more peaceful, the girls come up to me and thank me..

6. happy duck

happy duck Crazy duck mom

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    Most ducks start egg laying around 6 months....

7. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    My runners started doing the dirty at about 2 1/2 months, maybe sooner and I just didn't notice but they are really in full swing now. Born May 29th.

8. DiYMama540

DiYMama540 Crowing

Jun 25, 2019
    SW VA
    My Coop
    :yuckyuck

FluffTheDuck likes this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Wrangler

I have a female Runner just turned 4 months today she has been after my Muscovy drake for at least a month. Thankfully he only sees her as a pest. Her Runner drake is only 9.5 weeks old. He has some maturing to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: