talking turkey

gardengirl01

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 5, 2013
My 3 turkeys are about 3-4 months old. There may be one or two males. I was hoping for 1 male, 2 female. Yesterday I noticed the dominant tom chasing one of my little runty chickens, and the other 2 joined in chasing and freaked her out. Also another chicken has a foot injury. She is the only white chicken. I have white heritage turkeys. Is this normal tom behavior? He's definitely trying to be friends with anything that moves and the possible other tom, he didn't try to mate with but the definite female, he was trying. At what age do they start breeding?

That is normal turkey behaviors. I keep mine separately because turkeys will harass chickens and can even kill them. They don't do it all the time, but when the mood hits them they can be relentless.

Thanks. Everyone was peaceful when i arrived home yoday. Interesting that yhe dominant tom and the girl have been in the chicken house (scattering chicken food) and cant figure out how to get out. This wasn't a problem before but it means that the chickens which free range are left alone til i get home and open a door.

Back
Top Bottom