1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Taming a Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jaimi, May 29, 2008.

1. Jaimi

Jaimi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2008
    North Central Alabama
    When my roo was young, he was quite the cuddly lil fellow. Now, ever since him and his 3 girls have moved outside, he has just become wild. I see him every day, but I can't catch him anymore. What is the best way to tame a roo? He is also becoming a little aggressive, but not too bad.
    Any advice?

2. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    can you catch him when he is in thecoop? we have a couple that are fiesty- and we are workign on it by carrying them around- and it seems to work-LOLembarass them in front of their women - tote them around and pet them- and feed them treats so they want to see you coming

3. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    My Roo was so sweet when he was young and now since his girls are laying he has been very mean. We have tried everything we have read on this forum and nothing is working. We hate to part with him but I hate being attacked every time I turn around. Its rough when they have been so sweet and turn mean. I know they are protecting the hens but this one is going a little to far! I am not sure what we will do....I hate to think a roo can get the best of me.....
    Good luck with yours!

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    There is a link in my sig line to my roo behavior page, I think it might help.

5. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    Thanks for that page on rooster behavior and training. Its good information to know.

6. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    Quote:Thanks for your rooster page! It was a great help in understanding roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by