Taming a Rooster?

Pics

Nin8705

Songster
Mar 4, 2019
Michigan
8B8591B7-FA72-457B-9CE4-4B156E1F8B06.jpeg
Is that even possible? I have a black sex link rooster that I have a love hate relationship with. He’s so beautiful but he is such a jerk. Hes just so mean. This is the only real good pic I have of him and my husband took it.

We tried taming our Barred Rock rooster, but it did not work. We eventually had to give him away. But you can try carrying around a broom or racket of some sort. There is no need to hit him with it, just put it above his head to show that you are the BOSS! It may not help, but it is definitely worth a shot! ;) Also, when he attacks, DO NOT BE AFRAID TO KICK HIM BACK!

Is he a jerk to you? If so, he's not a keeper. Young cockerels tend to be friendlier as chicks and I've heard many stories of confused people wondering why their sweet little boys have turned into mean jerks. Attempts at hand-taming often leads to boundary issues. Of course, we're dealing with animals here so there are exceptions to everything.

Chances are if you have a mean bird, he'll stay a mean bird. Beating a bird off by showing him "who's boss" really won't help much. It becomes a chore to go out to the birds, and it just antagonizes everyone. It may seem like a tough and sad decision, but culling any bird exhibiting undesirable traits (over-aggression being a big one), is good flock management.

What I usually do is I always refuse to tolerate any aggression. If the rooster walks sideways around me, like he's trying to show off I stamp my big leather booted foot near him to make him jump.

If he ever tries to peck me or slash at me I grab his neck and pull it down to the ground, and with the other hand I push his body down to the ground so he is basically sitting. Lean over him and don't let him get back up.

When you remove your hand and he no longer tries to get back up, he has at least "accepted" you as something not to easily mess with.

If the rooster is breeding a hen push him off with your foot. That's your hen and he can't breed your hens when you're around since you're the "head rooster". He may still be a mean rooster, but he'll be less likely to assault you.

If you are an adult household, never have children visiting, well you can try the above ideas and see how it goes.

If you have small children, or have children visit you, or even have neighborhood children who might do something wrong, like come visit your chickens... I would not keep the rooster. Children under the age of 5 can take a blow to the face. Roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people.

As an adult, a rooster can inflict some damage. Personally, I would not keep him, he is adding a lot of tension to your flock and to yourself. I am betting that if you cull him, you will enjoy the birds more, and that you will be able to see that the tension in your flock is less too.

Mrs K

Is he a jerk to you? If so, he's not a keeper. Young cockerels tend to be friendlier as chicks and I've heard many stories of confused people wondering why their sweet little boys have turned into mean jerks. Attempts at hand-taming often leads to boundary issues. Of course, we're dealing with animals here so there are exceptions to everything.

Chances are if you have a mean bird, he'll stay a mean bird. Beating a bird off by showing him "who's boss" really won't help much. It becomes a chore to go out to the birds, and it just antagonizes everyone. It may seem like a tough and sad decision, but culling any bird exhibiting undesirable traits (over-aggression being a big one), is good flock management.
Yes he’s a jerk to me. Actually he is to anyone who tries to go in to the coop. My husband has tried showing him who’s boss and it work for a couple days and then he’s right back at it. I hate to admit it but I’m kind of afraid of him. Im not looking forward to the two weeks I’m flying solo and having to take care of them by myself

If you are an adult household, never have children visiting, well you can try the above ideas and see how it goes.

If you have small children, or have children visit you, or even have neighborhood children who might do something wrong, like come visit your chickens... I would not keep the rooster. Children under the age of 5 can take a blow to the face. Roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people.

As an adult, a rooster can inflict some damage. Personally, I would not keep him, he is adding a lot of tension to your flock and to yourself. I am betting that if you cull him, you will enjoy the birds more, and that you will be able to see that the tension in your flock is less too.

Mrs K
I’ve discussed culling him a few times with my husband and he’s very hesitant to do it. I’m worried that come summertime when I’m outside with my 2 year old that he will fly out of the fenced in area, and that’s the last thing I need is to have to worry about my son getting attacked.

We tried taming our Barred Rock rooster, but it did not work. We eventually had to give him away. But you can try carrying around a broom or racket of some sort. There is no need to hit him with it, just put it above his head to show that you are the BOSS! It may not help, but it is definitely worth a shot! ;) Also, when he attacks, DO NOT BE AFRAID TO KICK HIM BACK!
Right now I use a garbage can lid and keep it at my feet and kind of push I’m away if he gets close but it’s just irritating for sure

Back
Top Bottom