Taming a Rooster?

There are plenty of non-human aggressive roosters out there. As you have a toddler that can't defend himself, get rid of this rooster and find somebody more suitable to your needs. I bought my first rooster, as an adult, and watched him closely for the first couple of weeks, especially when my daughter (14) was holding the hens. He'd complain about it, but never once showed aggression to her, my son, myself or my dog. He was the best in a rooster.
Get rid of that beast and find a gentleman.

If you have a two year old, even the best protector in the world is not worth his face or possible eyes. They are just chickens. Aggressive roosters tend to get more aggressive. They tend to attack children first, then women and then men.

I am wondering if this is your first time with chickens? Because I have found that roosters just raised together with flock mates, grow faster, get bigger, and there is nothing bigger to thump some manners into them. In my experience, they tend to become very aggressive and out of control.

I would think nearly all posters on here, come with advice from their point of view. But upon consideration there is a lot of difference between a newly established flock of five, kept in a backyard, sharing a space with children and a flock of 20 that has been established for 20 years, with birds coming and going into it.

Rooster chicks being raised in a multi-generational flock, are not the biggest bird in the flock. Size is important in chicken society. They learn they have to prove themselves. And their interactions with humans in not, being held all the time.

Cull this one. This is how you do it. Wear a coat or a long sleeve sweat shirt. Take a towel with your hands placed at the long ends, flip the towel over the bird and grab the bird firmly. Do not let go, even if you don't get a perfect grab, hang on and gather him in close.

Holding on to his legs, he will flap a bit, and then calm down. Put a cord around his legs, and slit his throat.

If you think you can't do this, think about protecting your son. Can you protect him? You don't have to eat him. A lot of people can't.

Do not feel guilty about this, think of your child. Would you keep a dog that bites around a child? No, I am sure not. Look at the size of the brain in the rooster, regardless what anyone says, there is not a lot of brain there to train.

Roosters are a crapshoot, some are worth keeping, and some are not.

Mrs K

I feel I need to point out, I'm not having a go at you and how you are trying to deal with the problem.:)
What I hope I might have done is suggest that changes in your perception; more so for others that may read this, will make a difference in the end to his behavior.
I understand that it can be very difficult. Behavior can often be attributed to an accumulation of events which on their own seem relatively insignificant.
There is no 'right way' of dealing with this.
While you and he sort yourselves out the only recommendation I can make for all rooster problems is wear clothing that gives you adequate protection. Sometimes just that workd.
I've had roosters here do the full out flogging approach but I wear heavy duty overalls and boots and don't get my face or ungloved hands anywhere near him until we've worked things out. This way I've found he stops bothering to attack because it has no effect and he learns this.
I do seriously wish you the best in trying to sort this problem out. Many people just don't bother.:)
Oh I know you weren’t so no worries. I’m actually going to get overalls this weekend to help if he does go at me. I really do like him and would hate to get rid of him. I just wasn’t sure what I could do to help the situation. Thank you for your advice I do appreciate it. I’m going to try everything I can and hope for the best. Again thank you

Oh I know you weren’t so no worries. I’m actually going to get overalls this weekend to help if he does go at me. I really do like him and would hate to get rid of him. I just wasn’t sure what I could do to help the situation. Thank you for your advice I do appreciate it. I’m going to try everything I can and hope for the best. Again thank you
I don't think I need to write this but he obviously isn't safe with children.

If you have a two year old, even the best protector in the world is not worth his face or possible eyes. They are just chickens. Aggressive roosters tend to get more aggressive. They tend to attack children first, then women and then men.

I am wondering if this is your first time with chickens? Because I have found that roosters just raised together with flock mates, grow faster, get bigger, and there is nothing bigger to thump some manners into them. In my experience, they tend to become very aggressive and out of control.

I would think nearly all posters on here, come with advice from their point of view. But upon consideration there is a lot of difference between a newly established flock of five, kept in a backyard, sharing a space with children and a flock of 20 that has been established for 20 years, with birds coming and going into it.

Rooster chicks being raised in a multi-generational flock, are not the biggest bird in the flock. Size is important in chicken society. They learn they have to prove themselves. And their interactions with humans in not, being held all the time.

Cull this one. This is how you do it. Wear a coat or a long sleeve sweat shirt. Take a towel with your hands placed at the long ends, flip the towel over the bird and grab the bird firmly. Do not let go, even if you don't get a perfect grab, hang on and gather him in close.

Holding on to his legs, he will flap a bit, and then calm down. Put a cord around his legs, and slit his throat.

If you think you can't do this, think about protecting your son. Can you protect him? You don't have to eat him. A lot of people can't.

Do not feel guilty about this, think of your child. Would you keep a dog that bites around a child? No, I am sure not. Look at the size of the brain in the rooster, regardless what anyone says, there is not a lot of brain there to train.

Roosters are a crapshoot, some are worth keeping, and some are not.

Mrs K
Yes that was from my first batch of chickens. We were supposed to have only females but surprise! Oh I know I could do it, I was just trying to see what options I had.

My best rooster was awesome, he tended to his girls, and was always on the lookout. He always made sure his girls ate first. Unfortunately a hawk got through a hole in my netting after a storm. He fought the good fight but his foot got caught in some netting and the hawk got him. He was almost always easy going but sometimes in the spring he'd bow up and on occasion get aggressive. I just squirted him with the water hose and it kept him at bay. The rooster I have now, a beautiful black copper moran, is young but maturing nicely. He too gets a little cocky at times (pun intended) but the water hose works great on him as well. I haven't had any issues lately but spring is in the air so we'll see. This will be my second year with him and he is good about alerting and my girls run under their tents when he does. I have a huge hawk problem and can't imagine being without a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom