Taming Ducklings

Most of my ducks will come in my lap when I have food. They will hang around close and pick at my clothes even when I don't. Plan on them getting a little more distant when they first get fully feathered (around 2 mo. old). They are shifting from ducklings who depend on you to independent ducks and as an animal on the bottom of the food chain, fear is their first response to everything. This is normal so if you know about it, it won't make you sad. Once they are grown, you will have to work on getting their trust and affection again, but it WILL come and this time it will last
big_smile.png
. I think being there every day/almost every day is more important than the hours. My wife and I work, but we at least stop and give them a head of lettuce every day (there are 13 of them so that really isn't much). When the weather is better for humans, we sit out with them and spend more time with them. But even when it is miserable out, we do our chores and then spend a couple minutes talking with them. And those Pekins are pretty smart. I only have one, but she has an opinion on EVERYTHING!
lau.gif

Entie climbing right up my leg for some treats.

Not quite as easy for my Pekin girl, Snow, but she's pretty lovey too.

Your ducks are so cute! Thanks for all the info. They are in my room right now in their brooder. I put them on my bed when I came home from school, petted them, and let them swim some. And how will I earn their trust again when they are older? Just spending time with them still? Giving them treats? Thanks everyone again :)

I change their bedding out every day, so I hold them when I take them out of the brooder to clean. I also let them swim in some shallow water in the bath tub the other day, and one of them was willing to cuddle for a few minutes afterwards.

Your ducks are so cute! Thanks for all the info. They are in my room right now in their brooder. I put them on my bed when I came home from school, petted them, and let them swim some. And how will I earn their trust again when they are older? Just spending time with them still? Giving them treats? Thanks everyone again :)
Time and treats even as they get older. Spend as much time as possible with them now and it will pay off.

Aww I wish mine would like to cuddle! Lol. And I'll try to spend a lot of time with them. What kind of treats do ducks like? :p

Ooo thanks for the link! That really helped :) I'll try some of those on the lost and see if they like it :p

Aww I wish mine would like to cuddle! Lol. And I'll try to spend a lot of time with them. What kind of treats do ducks like?
tongue.png

Wobbles loves to have his bill and forehead stroked. I was pretty determined to make him hands-friendly as a duckling, so I'd pick him up and when he began to squirm I'd gently run my index finger sideways along his beak and over his head and he'd calm down. I've seen other duck owners say the same thing, but maybe it doesn't work for all duks.

Back
Top Bottom