Tampa

you are so lucky that you have a city counsel that understands that chickens are our friends. I am in Seminole ht's.

just lost in court ordered to get rid of 5 hens considere
d farm animals

Dogs and cats are too IMO, but they are allowed. Guinea Pigs, Hamsters Mice & Rats are Rodents, and yet considered pets. Then there are Reptiles and Amphibians, (let me get ready for the flames) I can't see how a newt can be a pet, yet I had one as a kid. and fish, interesting to watch, but no interaction. just because it is socially acceptible to eat them, it does not mean a chicken or turkey, or pig etc. cannot also be a pet. i'm not sure a cow, full size horse, elephant, donkey, llama etc should be an a neighborhood yard, but size wise, chickens do not go in that category.

What I am trying to say is I'm sorry, but I think I would begin to torture my neighbors in any legal way possible, or work to change the law, or move, or all 3.

but I get cranky about that neighborhood crap. Which is why I live out in the country.

I'm frrl sorry (Sad) for your impending loss, hope you find a good home for your babies.

RobertH

So sorry to hear this.

I've been hoping to find others who can help me take this to the County Commissioners and have contacted Lisa McBride who helped get the ordinance changed in Pinellas County. I've tried contacting the local 4-H and County extension offices for some assistance in doing this but I have yet to hear back from them.

I've started a petition (thanks to Ms. McBride for allowing me to use her beautifully worded petition for Pinellas) but haven't gotten around to starting a website. http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/hillsborough-county-citizens-for-backyard-poultry.html

I do believe that the Cities (Ybor, Tampa etc) already have ordinances that allow for chickens on residential property with restrictions.

My neighbors love my chickens and I have at least 3 other neighbors who have them as well but they are technically illegal to have where I am in Brandon because the property is residential. Unfortunately my neighbor's Landlord blamed My chickens for Their rodent problem and reported me. I didn't even know up until then that it was illegal since the City allowed it I figured surely the County does....

Hopefully I can find more folks to help with this soon because I'm just a little overwhelmed trying to deal with my daily life as a new mom without having the added chicken issues! LOL

I am SO sorry to hear about that!!! The biggest thing I've always HATED about living in Tampa is how many local government officials placate to the rich elitists of the city who complain about anything that might bring down the exclusivity of their neighborhoods. GRRRRRRR!!! I myself was looking forward to keeping a few chickens again. After all, our family raised chickens in ybor when I was a kid growing up in the 70s/80s, and back then it was all copasetic. We kept the property clean, the hens were quiet (we had no need for a rooster) and we always had fresh organic eggs to eat and share with neighbors.

So, just a few days ago, I decided to read the current City of Tampa ordinances regarding chickens, and when I saw all the restrictions the City Council had put in place to obviously make owning chickens completely impossible... I was floored! When did this happen?? So now, if you want to keep just TWO chickens in your own back yard, they must remain in an enclosed area 200 feet away from the nearest neighbors house??! WHO in the city lives on enough property such that their nearest neighbor is over 200 FEET AWAY????? It's ridiculous, and just another example of government abolishing liberties by making them so restrictive that 98% of lower and middle class citizens can no longer enjoy them.

Well, I know there are quite a few people living in the Seminole Heights area who are interested in growing organic food. There should be no reason why neighborhood associations can't be allowed to apply for an exemption which enable their residents to keep chickens. After all, economic times are only going to get worse! Sooner or later, people are going to have to band together and lobby their elected officials to return liberties like this so that people can feed their families.

In the meantime, I took the liberty of updating the "Tampa Florida Chicken Ordinance" information on BYC (https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/tampa-florida-chicken-ordinance) so that others in Tampa can be aware of this issue and avoid unnecessary fines and court hassles.

Here is a link to a petition that (as of this writing) is available to sign for people in Hillsborough County, Florida. Even if you live in Tampa or Ybor City where restrictions keep you from owning chickens, please sign the petition anyway. The only way for these restrictions to be repealed is if many people in the same area demanded it from their elected officials:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/hillsborough-county-citizens-for-backyard-poultry.html

Tampa City Counsel voted 6-1 to change the requirements for keeping chickens.
big_smile.png

YAY!

Back
Top Bottom