***tan Tax***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok...from a lifelong, diehard CONSERVATIVE here. First, I agree that the taxes are WAY outta control. After factoring in all the "hidden, BS taxes" my CPA told me that we paid in excess of 60% in taxes last year!! OUCH

So, I work 6 out of every 10 days for the gov't....that sounds like an equation for success, huh??!!

Now, don't get me wrong, I understand that taxes are a necessary "evil" in order to provide BASIC infrastructure needs (roads, police, fireman, etc, etc)

HOWEVER, our government has proven time and again that they can't handle the programs they already have in existence (i.e. Welfare, Social Security, PUBLIC SCHOOLS, etc, etc) and now they want to tax us more so they can "control more things"?? Like banking, healthcare, the auto industry.....if history is indicator of what is yet to come, LOOK OUT.

At my age (45) I'm hoping to outrun the worst of it. However, I am extremely worried about my children (ages 11 and 15) and yours. What type of society will they be living in? As the gov't continues to PRINT more money and drive our national debt higher and higher (and drive the value of the US $ lower and lower to foreign currencies), what will they inherit? Probably a nation with tax rates of 75-85%.

No wonder current college grads are fleeing the US in droves, headed to places like Brazil, China and India. They CAN"T find decent jobs after 4+ years of college and the future for them isn't looking so bright.

I think its WAY past time for us to call our elected officials out! And we MUST demand that federal and state gov'ts establish TERM LIMITS and our elected officials MUST be forced to live under the guidelines of the legislation that they enact (no dodging US healthcare, no exclusions from the social security system, etc ,etc) AS long as legislation revolves around "getting re-elected" nothing will ever change.

OK....I'm going to get a cup o' coffee and get off my soapbox. Sorry to have rambled

Everyone have a HAPPY NEW YEAR

Yard full o' rocks :

Ok...from a lifelong, diehard CONSERVATIVE here. First, I agree that the taxes are WAY outta control. After factoring in all the "hidden, BS taxes" my CPA told me that we paid in excess of 60% in taxes last year!! OUCH

So, I work 6 out of every 10 days for the gov't....that sounds like an equation for success, huh??!!

Now, don't get me wrong, I understand that taxes are a necessary "evil" in order to provide BASIC infrastructure needs (roads, police, fireman, etc, etc)

HOWEVER, our government has proven time and again that they can't handle the programs they already have in existence (i.e. Welfare, Social Security, PUBLIC SCHOOLS, etc, etc) and now they want to tax us more so they can "control more things"?? Like banking, healthcare, the auto industry.....if history is indicator of what is yet to come, LOOK OUT.

At my age (45) I'm hoping to outrun the worst of it. However, I am extremely worried about my children (ages 11 and 15) and yours. What type of society will they be living in? As the gov't continues to PRINT more money and drive our national debt higher and higher (and drive the value of the US $ lower and lower to foreign currencies), what will they inherit? Probably a nation with tax rates of 75-85%.

No wonder current college grads are fleeing the US in droves, headed to places like Brazil, China and India. They CAN"T find decent jobs after 4+ years of college and the future for them isn't looking so bright.

I think its WAY past time for us to call our elected officials out! And we MUST demand that federal and state gov'ts establish TERM LIMITS and our elected officials MUST be forced to live under the guidelines of the legislation that they enact (no dodging US healthcare, no exclusions from the social security system, etc ,etc) AS long as legislation revolves around "getting re-elected" nothing will ever change.

OK....I'm going to get a cup o' coffee and get off my soapbox. Sorry to have rambled

LOVE IT!!!! Happy New year to you too my fellow Georgian!!!​

Quote:
They have to take, take, take.....1/2 the population doesn't have jobs so income taxes are not "umm" like what they used to be.

gotta find money somewhere.

If you CAN AFFORD to pay the tanning service price, then sure, tax it. For me if you want it, then pay for it.

I would tax tanning before I taxed non-perishables like toilet paper..LOL-LOL

But with the Fed Govt, where will they stop? They are like a spoiled kid, they take and take and take and we have let them get away with it for so long the when we do tell them no, they get really mad and pitch a fit!!! They work or US not the other way around!!!
As far as getting money for the govt: they get way tooo much now!!! Stop increasing the size of govt and let the PEOPLE have more of their OWN money to spend how they see fit. Taxing something is not an incentive to spend money.

BTW. LOVE the dog!!
big_smile.png

oh I hear you.....but money must come in to support the current govt. You can't just pull the plug and expect anything of this mess of a magnitude to be fixed overnight.

SO....the govt must find money. Taxing tanning, those who can afford to pay for that service, can pay taxes on it. You can't raise taxes again and again and again on the middle class that used to support the country---heck millions aren't working

Wait to see what your state does to you soon. Your state is getting federal cuts left and right. Your state is going to come after your wallet big time soon. While economies are bad and workers are out of work, the fed. govt. can find ways to tax extras etc.....one way is also cutting your state's funding....next will be your state coming to get what they have lost in $ from the federal to your front door.

If you can tax cigs to death, you can tax tanning also. I see no problem with it truly. It is an optional service. You want it, pay for it. The federal govt and state govts have to get their money from somewhere right?

Of course there are 50 million other ways to get money to help the govt (like them cleaning up their own fraud and waste etc. in the systems) but that takes time again. so????

It is such a nasty and vicious cycle that it borders on insanity truly...LOL

Last edited:
I wasn't going to post but I just had to. we are taxed to death here in so.east ky. everything has school tax then you have exise tax, state tax local tax county tax and so on. this is just an example but actual . our KU (electric) bill before taxes was 87.00 after they got done with all the tax and everything it was 120 something dollars. our property tax was 70 something dollars then they start adding taxes on the taxes and it ends up 139.00 heck we even get charged tax on bread in the grocery store.

We have all the same taxes as you. The states have never been slackers either. Including ones that are against the constitution. I know most people are against smoking. But this is also against the constitution.
http://www.smokersclubinc.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1882
There is some things we CAN do! To me hearing "Theres nothing we can do" is one of the most UnAmerican things you can say. Did you hear about the pink slips sent to the goverment.? Each constituant got 535 of them. They stacked 2.5 times higher than the Washington monument!
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=113133
Join a local Tea Party. Millions of them protested in Washington.
http://www.teapartypatriots.org/Default.aspx
There are thousands of Americans joining the grass roots movement. If nothing else,they're showing the government what it means to be bipartisan.LOL

I would tax tanning before I taxed non-perishables like toilet paper..LOL-LOL

In most states, you are probably paying SALES tax on your toilet paper and have been for quite some time. That said, 'luxury' taxes are not new. I'd rather they tax something that I have a CHOICE of (not a necessity), than the general taxes I can't avoid.​

Quote:
In most states, you are probably paying SALES tax on your toilet paper and have been for quite some time. That said, 'luxury' taxes are not new. I'd rather they tax something that I have a CHOICE of (not a necessity), than the general taxes I can't avoid.

yea my TP is tax cause it is non persishable.

I said I want my TP tax free and any tanning services taxed instead...LOL

sounds good to me--I agree with your post

Yard full o' rocks :

you hit the nail on the head right there. Once that is done we could then get rid of lobyists, at least if there were term limits it would be harder to "own" a polititian as it would be changing every few years. If both sides the Dem. and Rep. could just fight for this one thing so much would fall into place. It is the first big step that we as a nation need to take imo.​

I understand that the Govt needs money and that the States will soon follow suit. My point is that when the Feds start these new "sin" taxes or "luxury" taxes where will it end? Who decides its a sin or a luxury? The Feds are known for using a "crisis" like this to do all these temporary measures that never go away. Look at all the massive govt expansion under FDR. That was meant to get us "out of the depression" Well some if not most of those agencies and programs are still here to this day. The economy is in shambles and jobs are being cut left and right. This year 535 millionaires gave them selves a raise on our dime. That makes no sense to me. I also want to say that this has nothing to do with party. It has to do with the mindset that the govt is here to "take care of me". That is what has to change.

remember also the govt. is one of the biggest employers...lol

and remember that MILLIONS of jobs are available for people to work because of our taxes.

without it who woulds need tax accountants, tax attorneys etc. etc...LOL

No joke, the circle is so entwined that you can not unravel it now....not without severly cutting the cutting the circle and having severe damage happen before any true decent recovery can happen.

So---how to proceed?

Heck I am not sure...but obviously something needs to change and it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom