tao's incubator build notes

ahhhhhhh
thumbsup.gif

The motor is probably strong enough but I have some tweaking to do. The incubator is about to get more expensive as I have to find some thrust bearings to reduce friction on the spwiveling joints. New word: spwiveling... haha. I've also learned that shortening the first arm will reduce the torque stress on the motor.

I'm quite frustrated with the new incubator project. Between my inability to cut or drill in straight lines, my distracted brain mismeasuring, and the fact that I'm trying to fit what I have in a fairly small box, the incubator is starting over again tomorrow. This will be a redo # 4 I think.

More detailed notes coming soon.

Ok. Changes have been made, but I'm still not done. The incubator plan was to use the motor to push up and let gravity and the motor get it down gently. I realized that friction and weight were going to make it impossible for the microwave turner so I ordered a slightly larger motor. I figured I'd help the scenario if I supported the weight of the trays in their center. Unfortunately, I drilled the holes just far enough off from where I planned that I had to rethink the whole design. The motor was too far away from the trays and lengthening the link to it would cause it to not be strong enough and raising the motor would get in the way of other mechanical things.
The current plan is two-fold. I'll link the motor from the top with a pulley. If it fails for whatever reason I have a backup plan with some picture hanging wire to raise and lower the trays manually from outside the incubator.

I was going to wire two fans, but the cfm on the fans I have is quite high. I've wired and installed one and will add another if needed.

I'll have two light bulb sockets on the bottom of the incubator. Hot air rises and the fan will circulate the air back down. If two bulbs is not enough I can add a double bulb or heating bulb instead.
I bought a sheet of plexiglass for a small viewing window.

Pictures will come once I get closer to test day.

Back
Top Bottom