Tapeworm Deworming Questions

Regarding chickens eating the tapeworms- they actually can NOT reinfect themselves without the tapeworm first being eaten by an intermediate host (like a snail/slug). Furthermore, dogs and cats should not be able to be infected by eating chicken tapeworms (verified this with a vet as my dog thinks chicken droppings are treats!) Glad it is working for you.

For the other poster, my plan is to wait 2 weeks to eat the eggs. Think that is the general rule of thumb with worming meds.

Thank you BrandyS! Glad to hear that my chickens eating the tapeworm isn't going to hurt them. It was just disgusting! I plan in throwing the eggs out for 10 days and then I am going to worm them again. I will wait 10 days after the second worming before we eat the eggs. Kills me to throw away so many eggs each day but having healthy chickens is more important!

Thank you BrandyS! Glad to hear that my chickens eating the tapeworm isn't going to hurt them. It was just disgusting! I plan in throwing the eggs out for 10 days and then I am going to worm them again. I will wait 10 days after the second worming before we eat the eggs. Kills me to throw away so many eggs each day but having healthy chickens is more important!

You could cook the eggs and feed them back to your flock.

Cooked or not, there's still residue in the eggs. I dont recommend feeding them back to chickens. The residue, however slight, will help build worm resistance the next time the wormer is used. The eggs can be given to your dogs.

Uggh. I accidentally fed fish guts infected with a tapeworm to my chickens. Will this infect them? What should I do?

My blue silkie has tapeworm segments in her stool. I bought some z gold to treat her with and my other 32 chickens. A few of my chickens ate bread with the z gold in it but most of them refused. Is there an easy way to give z gold them? What have you all done when you administer z gold? Thanks in advance!

I just put a tiny bit on a plastic knife and slid (the dull part) over the back area of the beak while holding their mouths opens so it went in. Not saying this is the easiest way but it was pretty quick for me. (though I only have 7 chickens not 32!)

I just put a tiny bit on a plastic knife and slid (the dull part) over the back area of the beak while holding their mouths opens so it went in. Not saying this is the easiest way but it was pretty quick for me. (though I only have 7 chickens not 32!)

Good idea.
thumbsup.gif

My blue silkie has tapeworm segments in her stool. I bought some z gold to treat her with and my other 32 chickens. A few of my chickens ate bread with the z gold in it but most of them refused. Is there an easy way to give z gold them? What have you all done when you administer z gold? Thanks in advance!
You could do it orally with a syringe 1ml syringe. Max dose I would use is 0.06 ml per pound, that's 10mg/kg, which is the amount that Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook recommends for chickens.

Pictures from book:

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom