Tapeworm - Valbazen Ineffective - Graphic Poo Video Attached

stuckinvtown

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 25, 2013
Los Angeles County
I noticed Tapeworm segments in my chickens poo several weeks ago. After researching all the threads here on BYC about tapeworm treatments, I decided to purchase pricey Valbazen from my local vet. I have fours girls, so I treated them all at the same time. I gave each chicken .5ml in a syringe orally. I waited 10 days and repeated with a second treatment. There were STILL segments in their poo 20 days after starting treatment. I did a bit more research here and discovered it may be possible that the girls are reinfecting themselves, so I started another round of treatment. I made sure they had all new bedding in their coop (which I clean regularly anyway). I cleaned out the run too. During the day my girls free range in my backyard, so they are never cooped up in their own poo for long periods. Now they have each had a total of four .5ml doses, and I don't know what else to do. I have seen the threads that suggest Zimectrin gold with praziquantel, and I could try that. I just don't get why Valbazen would seemingly do nothing. Below is a video I took yesterday of their poo. Any suggestions?
0.jpg

In addtion to Zimectrin Gold and Equimax, you could also use this:

I think you could also use this, but I haven verified the doses yet:
http://www.jedds.com/-strse-510/MEDIWORM-TABLETS-100-ct/Detail.bok

A broadspectrum deworming tablet for pigeons, raptors and galliforms. Mediworm is currently the only broadspectrum single dose, combination tablet, known of in the world. Highly effective against Roundworm, Hairworm and Tapeworm.

Extremely safe, causes no regurgitation and is very economical. The small size of the tablet makes it easy to dose. Mediworm is the golden standard in routine deworming.

Composition:
. Pyrantel Pamoate 20mg
. Praziquantel 5mg

Dosage Treatment:
. May be used in the breeding and racing season.
. Dose one Mediworm tablet per pigeon. The tablet must be dosed on an empty crop.
. In case of severe worm infestations, it is advisable to repeat the treatment after 14 days.

Available Sizes; 100 tablets.

-Kathy

Edited to add: Use only one product at a time.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
First of all, to your video:

... But thank you. For the science.

Second, from what I understand, Valbazen can be ineffective if, as you mentioned, they are re-infecting each other. Chickens truly fling stuff *every where.* With that in mind, think about water bowls, feeders, and anything else they share. Biosecurity is one of the most impossible, never-ending tasks... Once water understands that it is intended to be "chicken water," I think it knows that it is its cosmic duty to become as FILTHY as possible within 15 seconds.

It, apparently, must be administered more frequently than the standard 10 days in some cases. Other than that little tidbit, I have no other information. This is the thread I reference. ~~> https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/834148/rotate-deworming-medication-repeat-tapeworm-problem

MrsB

Personally, I love videos and poop pictures, so keep them coming, but maybe but a warning in the title of your thread? You can still edit the title
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Last edited:
So, sorry for the graphic poo video. I had to make sure with some fellow BYCers I wasn't looking at something else and calling it "tapeworm." I will try the more frequent administration this time around.

I love graphic poo videos. ;) It's the things what WRIGGLE in it!

That is definitely tapeworm! Seen a few in my day.
sickbyc.gif

Hope this round gets them!

MrsB

PS - I am impressed with your steady camera hands!!!
bow.gif

Last edited:
Tapeworms are difficult to get rid of. Here's a link for you regarding using valbazen to get rid of them, see post #7:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/806524/prevention-cures-for-tapeworm-or-any-worms-really
However, since you've already used valbazen, I highly recommend that you use zimectrin gold equine paste wormer. Withhold their feed for 24 hours prior to worming them with the z-gold. Then dose each chicken orally a regular "pea" size amount of z-gold paste. Then do the same thing in 10 days, including withholding feed on the 9th day.
Wait at least 3 or 4 hours after administering the z-gold before you feed your birds. When the time comes to feed your birds, feed them only a little feed at a time, gradually giving them more as time goes by, eventually back to normal feeding routine. They will be very hungry after withholding their feed for 24 hours, and they will gorge their feed possibly causing impacted crop or gizzard.

Second, from what I understand, Valbazen can be ineffective if, as you mentioned, they are re-infecting each other. Chickens truly fling stuff *every where.* With that in mind, think about water bowls, feeders, and anything else they share. Biosecurity is one of the most impossible, never-ending tasks... Once water understands that it is intended to be "chicken water," I think it knows that it is its cosmic duty to become as FILTHY as possible within 15 seconds.

It, apparently, must be administered more frequently than the standard 10 days in some cases. Other than that little tidbit, I have no other information. This is the thread I reference. ~~> https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/834148/rotate-deworming-medication-repeat-tapeworm-problem

MrsB

Insects are the main host for tapeworms.

MrsB

So, sorry for the graphic poo video. I had to make sure with some fellow BYCers I wasn't looking at something else and calling it "tapeworm." I will try the more frequent administration this time around.

Back
Top Bottom