Tapeworm - Valbazen Ineffective - Graphic Poo Video Attached

Tapeworms are difficult to get rid of. Here's a link for you regarding using valbazen to get rid of them, see post #7:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/806524/prevention-cures-for-tapeworm-or-any-worms-really
However, since you've already used valbazen, I highly recommend that you use zimectrin gold equine paste wormer. Withhold their feed for 24 hours prior to worming them with the z-gold. Then dose each chicken orally a regular "pea" size amount of z-gold paste. Then do the same thing in 10 days, including withholding feed on the 9th day.
Wait at least 3 or 4 hours after administering the z-gold before you feed your birds. When the time comes to feed your birds, feed them only a little feed at a time, gradually giving them more as time goes by, eventually back to normal feeding routine. They will be very hungry after withholding their feed for 24 hours, and they will gorge their feed possibly causing impacted crop or gizzard.

This is really helpful. Thank you for taking the time to respond and also sending me the link to your alternative Valbazen dosing method. I will give the Z Gold a try asap.

Hi, Just wondering how your tapeworms situation is going? I have been grappling with them for well over a year. I too started with some expensive mail order Valbazen and found it ineffective as well. I have been using the zgold since (a beebee size amount) --and it has been working fairly well. Usually it goes away with two doses, ten or so days apart. Then tapeworms return --usually in a few months. It's worse in the hens that are the most successful foragers --the birds that get the worms also get the tapeworms, sadly. I have some hens that aren't that interested in bugs and stay pretty tapeworm free. Anyway it's been a frustrating problem here --just wondering if you found success with Zgold?

Hi, Just wondering how your tapeworms situation is going? I have been grappling with them for well over a year. I too started with some expensive mail order Valbazen and found it ineffective as well. I have been using the zgold since (a beebee size amount) --and it has been working fairly well. Usually it goes away with two doses, ten or so days apart. Then tapeworms return --usually in a few months. It's worse in the hens that are the most successful foragers --the birds that get the worms also get the tapeworms, sadly. I have some hens that aren't that interested in bugs and stay pretty tapeworm free. Anyway it's been a frustrating problem here --just wondering if you found success with Zgold?
Welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

A "beebee" size amount of zimectrin gold will not treat tapeworms in chickens. You are underdosing your birds, this is how resistance develops. I suggest you follow the directions in post #11, including withholding feed as I mentioned with the z-gold.
Insects are the host for tapeworm eggs. Your birds are eating insects containing infective tapeworm eggs...that will be an ongoing problem in your flock.
Regular worming with valbazen in the blue link in post #11, following my directions will stop the tapeworms lifecycle contaminating your soil.

Dawg is correct, a BB size amount doesn't have enough praziquante to treat a normal sized chicken. For those that want to give a precise amount, the amount of Z-Gold needed for tapes is ~0.06ml per pound, so a 5 pound chicken should get ~0.3ml. Picture below is regular ivermectin, but that doesn't matter, it's just supposed to give an idea of how bog the blobs are.
wink.png

From left to right:
Small = 0.1 ml
Medium = 0.25 ml
Large = 0.5 ml

1 ml of Z-Gold has 77.5mg of praziquantel.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I've also done the math for Equimax.
big_smile.png
To treat tapes in chickens with Equimax, the dose is ~0.033ml per pound, so a 5 pound chicken would get ~0.16ml. One tube of Equimax will treat about twice as many chickens as Z-Gold, which makes sense since it has about twice as much praziquantel.

-Kathy

In addtion to Zimectrin Gold and Equimax, you could also use this: [COLOR=333333]I think you could also use this, but I haven verified the doses yet:[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]http://www.jedds.com/-strse-510/MEDIWORM-TABLETS-100-ct/Detail.bok[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]A broadspectrum deworming tablet for pigeons, raptors and galliforms. Mediworm is currently the only broadspectrum single dose, combination tablet, known of in the world. Highly effective against Roundworm, Hairworm and Tapeworm. Extremely safe, causes no regurgitation and is very economical. The small size of the tablet makes it easy to dose. Mediworm is the golden standard in routine deworming. Composition: . Pyrantel Pamoate 20mg . Praziquantel 5mg Dosage Treatment: . May be used in the breeding and racing season. . Dose one Mediworm tablet per pigeon. The tablet must be dosed on an empty crop. . In case of severe worm infestations, it is advisable to repeat the treatment after 14 days. Available Sizes; 100 tablets.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]-Kathy[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Edited to add: Use only one product at a time. :D [/COLOR]
Great info!! Wonder about how long you can't eat eggs?

Tapeworms are difficult to get rid of. Here's a link for you regarding using valbazen to get rid of them, see post #7:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/806524/prevention-cures-for-tapeworm-or-any-worms-really
However, since you've already used valbazen, I highly recommend that you use zimectrin gold equine paste wormer. Withhold their feed for 24 hours prior to worming them with the z-gold. Then dose each chicken orally a regular "pea" size amount of z-gold paste. Then do the same thing in 10 days, including withholding feed on the 9th day.
Wait at least 3 or 4 hours after administering the z-gold before you feed your birds. When the time comes to feed your birds, feed them only a little feed at a time, gradually giving them more as time goes by, eventually back to normal feeding routine. They will be very hungry after withholding their feed for 24 hours, and they will gorge their feed possibly causing impacted crop or gizzard.

Do we need to with hold feed when using valbazen? I've used z gold last time.

Back
Top Bottom