Tatanka Breeders Club: Meat Quail project with history, discussion, pictures and videos

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MobyQuail, Feb 15, 2012.

1. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    space holder for information on the "Tatanka" Coturnix Quail.

how it got its start.

the new "call" name. what is this "tatanka" isnt it just a small brown bird? yes, but its so much more.

the "rough feather" gene and how you know its a "tatanka".

the 3 breeding coveys. RI, KS and FL, friends brought together by a bird and a web?

and of course, accepted and expected growth rates with lots of pictures.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    wow! I am floored by the response to this thread. everytime I login I have new a new pm or 2 or 3 jeez.
    thanks for the encouraging words! some of you actually follow my musings. awesome.

I want to touch on these "Ta-tankas" quick, its really just a "call name" for a big line of Quail that several of us collaborate on.

#1 we have never charged for these hatching eggs, this says alot.
    #2 we usually cover the cost of shipping, this says more.
    #3 I know of only 3 primary stewards and 3-4 additional stewards who are bringing their "Tatanka "coveys up to Standards.
    #4 the original buttercup birds were sent out "for free" as a co-op from a person who used to frequent this forum. Yes, her name is buttercup.
    #5 since that time, they have been sent out "for free" as her wish., this says alot.
    #6 as far as I know, you cannot buy a "Ta-tanka" you must be given one, that says alot...

now, it happens, its ok... lets say someone is firing off critiques about this line of birds, go to #1 and #2, you should realize, they probably got these birds for free, they probably didnt pay shipping and now for some reason they are talking bad about them... to my simple mind, that speaks to someones character.

Back to the birds, why Ta-tanka? wth? well, to tell the truth, I think we all liked the movie "dances with wolves"...when discussing the birds, instead of saying, those birds you got last year from buttercup's co-op- what generation are you on now? F4? we could just call them "tatankas" and nod our heads...

eta- inquiries have been made, some stewards are now able to market their eating eggs to the general public as "Jumbo Brown Coturnix" and regionally supply hatching eggs @ $5/dozen. please PM if interested and kindly keep sales inquiries off the project thread.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  3. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    4th setting of F2 "Split" chicks arrived today. up to almost 30 now.

4. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    The first setting of F2 split chicks hit 12 days today. I weighed them, I have 6 of them, 4 browns and 2 whites.

First, lets go back to 11/8/2011 when the first setting of F1 split chicks were weighed.

[​IMG]

and the second brood of F1 chicks, when they hit 12 days old

[​IMG]

and now fast forward to today 2/19/2012 when the first setting (small sample size) of f2 chicks from just the largest split hen and the largest split roo from all the f1 chicks above.

notice the white chicks are holding their own towards the average.

[​IMG]

this bird is 12 days old and on track! my 4th generation Tatanka

[​IMG]

5. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    and a reminder of how we got here.

[​IMG]

6. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
  7. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    started collecting eggs today for a new friend in Texas. Tared out the tray this time.

so, that's a 15.1 gram avg. meeting rule #1 in the project, a minimum weight of 14g for hatching eggs.

[​IMG]

8. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Nice! I've only got the normal sized cots, and am happy when one of mine lays a 10g egg...ave for me is 9.5g.

..sure wished I lived in Texas, lol.

9. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    ur next...

[​IMG]

10. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Thanks TD, You da man!

Although you know I'm a "ground guy" when it comes to birds...I have recently bought 4 GQF, 6 holers and 2, 1 holers (1 cage is 24" long by the 20' deep) in prep for the Tatankas. I'm also going to experiment with some "on the ground" to see if there is a difference with leg growth/defects with the added weight of these monsters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by