1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tatanka Breeders Club: Meat Quail project with history, discussion, pictures and videos

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MobyQuail, Feb 15, 2012.

1. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    no problem, I have never had any leg, joint issues, my birds have plenty of room each. I place the sandbath in the middle of the pen to give them something to run laps around, lol, but it must work cause Im surprised by the amount of meat on the legs of these birds. but ya know... my major was sports science and nutrition at UF.

because of their weight and being on wire, the older birds "can" get callouses on their pads, and to be clear, I have only had one bigger bird I had to cull from bumblefoot.

Bumblefoot is a common infection for domesticated poultry and waterfowl such as chickens and ducks. Due to constant walking on hard, rough, or sharp surfaces, birds can develop small wounds on the bottom of their feet. These wounds are very susceptible to infection by Staphylococcus aureus, bacteria which can cause bumblefoot in poultry and waterfowl. Treatment often requires opening the wound to drain the pus and antibiotic treatment and local application of pyodine as local dressing.

So, being preventative minded, I often give my big breeder girls a rest on wood chips and I don't have very many breeders so its easy for me to be familiar with each bird, with a rotating crew of only 24-36 adult breeders/layers I can usually tell which birds laid which eggs.

In your quail house on the ground... I know its taboo, but you got a nice pen and do it right, these girls are going to love the dirt.

they are like rooting pigs as it is in their sandbaths...

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you...
    my cots keep laying 10 to 12g eggs as their largest eggs (which are rare).. I have tried over and over to purchase "jumbo brown" quail.. and I keep getting sent tiny eggs.. most of which end up hatching out several different colors instead of the promised "brown".. [​IMG]

so i keep culling the little guys.. and keep setting the largest eggs.. seems like I'm getting nowhere fast... cause every time I try to add in new blood I keep getting tiny eggs.. which ends up setting me back .. so what's a girl to do?.. I don't want to end up with severely inbred quail.. but all the new blood I get seem to be tiny cots and not the jumbos I am expecting..
    I know it's not my feed (28% gamebird starter fed free choice and available all the time)
    *sighs* at least the little guys still taste good.. just not the size of bird I want to end up with

3. yinepu

mine are on wire with sandboxes and boxes of shavings.. they tend to lay their eggs in the sand or shavings.. I've never seen any bumblefoot in mine yet (knock wood)... but you are right.. they LOVE their sand.. lol.. my husband has called them "feathered pigs" on more than one occasion

4. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    well yinepu today is your lucky day.

Im going to be setting eggs every full moon and im going to need a hatching buddy for each brood.

Ive read your stuff, and I like the way you roll. can I put you down for April?

5. yinepu

Absolutely! lol.. the emu eggs will be out of the bators by then.. so I'll have plenty of room

6. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody

And I can back him up with another shipment from the Northeast facility if you need some more of them sometime down the road. No cash exchange, just pay it forward to another worthy steward, somewhere down the line. That's how the Tatanka group rolls.

7. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    EMU eggs... I have a friend who is always talking about EMU eggs...

8. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    you da man! we really need to hang out sometime... October, AG Fair...NY

9. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    my birds are on wire, its a very thick gauge wire. I got my brooder from the Dept of Forestry they were consolidating facilities and I was in the right place at the right time.

I got extra wire racks and now I sanitize 3 of them every week and rotate them among the 12, each month all grates are cleaned.

I also have a good old putty knife that I scoop out any piles of waste in corners with... ah the life.

[​IMG]

10. yinepu

that would be fantastic!
    Lol.. I have people on a waiting list now for free heritage turkey eggs... just waiting on my girls to start laying

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by