Tatanka Breeders Club: Meat Quail project with history, discussion, pictures and videos

Look at Dr. Moby litght'n up the old threads... Your right, we owe buttercup alot....She started it by send'n out eggs from her line for free. would'nt even let me pay for shipping. She just wanted to see the line carry on. I think it will. I have sent out over 100 dozen now, all over the country. These birds get their size from her line. Every egg my girls can squeeze out thru the 17th of next month is spoken for. I have yet to sell one. Or charge a dime for shipping, just as she did for the rest of us. To Bad she got a life and dont post on the forums any more. I'll try and get some pix up as I can. Took a lightning strike close by tonight and now have puter \ internet issues....

Edit to add a pic or two....

This one at 417 grams by my math is 14.75 oz ish... I read where some dont want'em this big, but I do....

This ones a little bigger yet. she dont think the scale is right thou....

Last edited:
I'm subscribing to this thread because its full of awesomeness.
big_smile.png

Look at Dr. Moby litght'n up the old threads... Your right, we owe buttercup alot....She started it by send'n out eggs from her line for free. would'nt even let me pay for shipping. She just wanted to see the line carry on. I think it will. I have sent out over 100 dozen now, all over the country. These birds get their size from her line. Every egg my girls can squeeze out thru the 17th of next month is spoken for. I have yet to sell one. Or charge a dime for shipping, just as she did for the rest of us. To Bad she got a life and dont post on the forums any more. I'll try and get some pix up as I can. Took a lightning strike close by tonight and now have puter \ internet issues....

ah, if Im the Dr., then you are Professor, Sir.

appreciate ya weighin in but you are a little modest. 100 dozen! plus shipping... too kind, too kind...

buttercup gets the co-op credit, kind work. you sir get something too...Ive always called them buttercup/fatdaddy in my mind and that = "tatanka" comes out easier.
btw, they look kinda big and shaggy like a buffalo.

now to get the true and pure "buttercup browns" from the original co-op ( a year later) turned "tatanka" they have to have gone through fatdaddy is how I understand it and I want to get the story straight...

fatdaddy sent to TD and Mille, Tonya, digger and another dozen+ all over the USA for free... hmmm good trade.

thumbsup.gif

Bill, I know people will read this and immediately send you a PM asking for eggs and I am sorry for that... I am. I think you truly have given enough away for free and fulfilled your duty.

we do have the Northeast, Southeast, Midwest and Rocky Mountain divisions to help out. I was almost thinking abut placing a discreet ad in craigslist and just calling em Jumbo Browns to get em out there around here.

edited for spelling

Last edited:
"Tatanka" raising the Standard...

BEAK: slightly curved not flat.
EYES: expressive, green.
HEAD: large, wide. square when viewed from top
NECK: thick, slight arch.
WINGS: fairly small
BREAST: prominent.

BODY: similar to other poultry meat birds, a fuller and longer fowl to increase egg-laying capacity and to produce a frame with more meat for commercial purposes. breadth across the back is a desirable trait. "like a brick"
LEGS: well muscled thigh. strong to support weight.
FEET AND TOES: (4) evenly spaced, long toes
FEATHERING: rough feathering is common in larger specimens.

EGGS: greater than > 14 grams.

WEIGHTS: All birds male and female must weigh 280 grams by 42 days.

looks like these are the numbers we are shooting for:

Daddy, Digger & Moby Standards of Quailism

14 days ~80g
21 days ~130g
28 days ~200g
42 days ~280g

Fat Daddy Clause
56 days ~350+

will continue to edit this as general guidelines.

Last edited:
touching on the get big fast and wanting bigger breeders. why do we do that?

well, why do rabbit breeders breed bigger rabbits? so, that the baby rabbits are bigger at butcher time.

remember this is a "meat quail" thread...we want bigger birds by butcher time, for me thats about the time they start screaming, I mean crowing...

the boys are burning calories chasing the ladies, the ladies are ducking the boys. you get my drift. 6 weeks and its freezer camp baby.

to answer some pm/email questions all at once and clear up any confusion.

what if I don't want a Tatanka? or be in a stupid breeders club or play some stupid back-patting game, I just want a big meat quail, darn it!

inquiries have been made,

some stewards are now able to market their eating eggs to the general public as "Jumbo Brown Coturnix" and regionally supply hatching eggs @ $5/dozen.

please PM if interested and kindly keep sales inquiries off the project thread.

Ok TD, Yes, the Northeast facility has offered these eggs to the local public for about 3 months now. The response from my local community has been incredible. I'm currently running 30 laying hens, churning out the eggs daily, and I have sold so many, and currently have a backlog of pre-orders, that it has been difficult for me to save enough to load my incubators. Add in the recent "giftings" that I have sent out, and I probably should increase my laying flock to 50 hens.

So far, I have sold all of my eggs locally, with customers/breeders meeting with me, and checking out the birds in person, in all stages of growth. Although I have had increased requests from my ad to ship eggs, I have yet to send any out, and still prefer to look the person in the eye before I let these eggs leave my farm. I haven't ruled out shipping, and am still considering doing so. I have been hesitant to ship them to avoid having people "claim them" as their own project, and later make false public statements about the "line", as you have already witnessed here in this section. Below is a copy of my ad, and you will notice that these birds are never referred to as the Tatanka line.

http://providence.craigslist.org/grd/2827780609.html

Why would you want a bird that big???? The eat more, they poop more. Just dont make sense does it....

Wait a minute.....

Maybe a really big bird would be a nice change.....

Back
Top Bottom