Tax Preparation...who to go to?

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
I've never done my own taxes, and this year, with three different W2s, it would be too difficult to try and figure out. There is a Jackson-Hewitt rep inside of the Wal-Mart I work at. We get 25% off, but I'm afraid it's going to cost quite a bit.

What do you do for taxes? I did make some charitable donations this year, around $100, then there's medical bills, credit cards...etc.

Who is your favorite company to go with? Do you prefer local private tax prep?

Turbo tax all the way.

We have a rental property, trust fund stuff, home based business and a bunch of other nit picky stuff and it gets pretty complicated. I just plug it into Turbo Tax and away I go.
Your sounds pretty straightforward and simple. Turbo tax is your best bet.

Quote:
Yes. The program will ask you if you have a W2. You say yes and you enter the info from it. Then it asks you if you have another, etc and once you say you don't have more, it goes on to the next question.

The last time I went to H n R it cost about 300.00 dollars. I couldn't beleive it. I have been using Turbo Tax. Its great and so easy.

Yeah I did 3 schedule C's something that would cost $80 each going to a tax store. One thing I really love about turbo tax is the ability to see how taking each deduction effects the refund. Example I had recipts for a business deduction, but claiming it reduced the refund by several hundred dollars (because it made the business essentially unprofitable), however by not taking that deduction, I was eligable for an even larger sum. Being able to decide each deduction and credit's overall impact helps me to know what to claim and what not to.

For years we used Jackson Hewitt, but I got sick of seeing them take us for hundreds of dollars just for filling out a couple pieces of paper. For us, there were max 2 W-2s, standard deduction, and the EIC... no big thing. So, I started doing ours myself. I checked IRS.GOV and found one site where you can do it all online, just follow the form, super easy electronic filing and direct deposit. Our refund arrived super fast, with no fuss, and NO FEES. They have other ones, more features I think, that are 9.95+ but the free one includes the E-file, and given our very simple situation, I just went with that.

Wouldn't work for everyone, but http://www.esmarttax.com has been wonderful for us.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom