Teenager refuses to kill her chicken for a class project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Thats each persons PERSONAL choice..
Each person may do it differently,..

Quote:
The chicken for the project was intended to die and be served as food. The chicken's final intent was for meat.
I feel you are overreacting to the statement made. Omitted.
Chickens are not people. Dogs, cats, pigs, deer, turkeys, cows, catfish are not people. Relating the two will only lead to harsh words and foul discussion.

Last edited:
idunno.gif
Well .I don't think killing anything should be dictated to anyone. Sadly 6 years ago when we bought our first bird's 10 out of 12 were roo's.A couple met with ill fate(one a freak birdbath incident).DH tried to process the roo's Not by his own hand's of course.And well No one else that volunteered done it either.It took Us Months to get rid of those roo's.We were newbie's then but Still none of our bird's get eaten here.If buyer's buy them for breeding/ eating etc. I don't wanna know about the eating part. Anyway most of mine wouldn't be more than a chicken nugget anyway!.

Quote:
The chicken for the project was intended to die and be served as food. The chicken's final intent was for meat.
I feel you are overreacting to the statement made. The Holocaust and Slavery are very sensitive subjects and have no place being brought up in this conversation.
Chickens are not people. Dogs, cats, pigs, deer, turkeys, cows, catfish are not people. Relating the two will only lead to harsh words and foul discussion.

OK I will give you that. a chicken is not a HUMAN!! .. However I see the connection in the attitude when making flat statements about anything solely based on genetic make up. You can not deny that line of thinking is generally at the root of racism, and genocide.

I apologize for being extreme in order to make a point......., but destiny for every living thing is in flux... Nothing has a predetermined destiny.. Open your eyes and your mind, see through a teen's eyes that is asked to care for a bird and gets attached... DO you have kids? Come on.

ON

Last edited:
Quote:
You can chop the head off with an ax like the traditional way, some people stick a knife through the brain and then slit the throat so the bird is dead beforehand. Everybody does it differently...

Quote:
She said that she liked to eat chicken BEFORE this project. She's also stated on her FB page that since this project neither she nor her family has eaten chicken or any other meat.

Concordia has a population that is less than 6,000 people. I'd imagine that a higher % of teens there know where food comes from than students in, say, Chicago or San Francisco, where few have ever seen or been on a farm.

Sorry I said I was not going to post... But deerman's bold statement irritates me deeply. Only for meat?? That sounds extremely biased.. Is that not the same line of thinking Hitler used to "justify" what he did to the Jews? Or what people said about slaves and their skin color//// WOW..... WOULD IT HAVE BEEN OK IF IT WAS A HERITAGE BREED CHICKEN???????????????????????????????????? or does the birds genetic make up predetermine its outcome??
(And I do not want to hear the crap that it's a chicken... Replace that with dog, cat or whatever pet is it OK then?)

WOW..
ON

Well you are really off base on this one...........the chicken she took was a rock X cornish .....yes that breed is bred for only MEAT. Can't live long life either.

To compare this with Hitler or slaves......
somad.gif
he.gif

My father fought a war because of Hitler.....so take your comment as a slap in his face....

Last edited:
Sorry boyd, I'm not the swiftest deer in the forest today - i was asking the person who posted previous to me.

Quote:
Sorry I said I was not going to post... But deerman's bold statement irritates me deeply. Only for meat?? That sounds extremely biased.. Is that not the same line of thinking Hitler used to "justify" what he did to the Jews? Or what people said about slaves and their skin color//// WOW..... WOULD IT HAVE BEEN OK IF IT WAS A HERITAGE BREED CHICKEN???????????????????????????????????? or does the birds genetic make up predetermine its outcome??
(And I do not want to hear the crap that it's a chicken... Replace that with dog, cat or whatever pet is it OK then?)

WOW..
ON

Well you are really off base on this one...........the chicken she took was a rock X cornish .....yes that breed is bred for only MEAT. Can't live long life either.

To compare this with Hitler or slaves......
somad.gif
he.gif

My father fought a war because of Hitler.....so take your comment as a slap in his face....

I can't even believe that you would compare the idea that a meat chicken is raised for meat to the Holocaust or slavery. That is simply ridiculous (and rather offensive that you even see it being similar). Just as certain breeds of cows are raised for meat or milk and certain breeds of dogs are raised to perform certain jobs, there are chickens whose purpose is to be eaten eventually. So yes, that bird's genetic makeup does predetermine its outcome. It is bred to be a large bird who will put on a lot of meat in a short amount of time and generally won't live very long no matter if it is slaughtered for meat or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom