Tell me about Bantam egg laying, please

I have 5 various bantam hens. The RIRs lay practically everyday and usually give me small eggs (checked by an egg scale). I have 2 MGB and 1 OEGB, who lay usually every other day, and their eggs are less than small. I keep these eggs separate, hardboil them, cut them up with shells and all, and give them back to the chickens. They love 'em, and they are good for them.

I keep the small to large eggs that my other hens lay, and either eat them or give them to my parents, if I have extra.

So, my bantams are not worthless, they help to feed my flock.

We originally got the bantams for my son for 4-H, as they fit perfectly in his hand. However, I would get more of them because they are too cute and have neat personalities.

I have 5 Dutch banty hens and they lay anywhere from 3-5 eggs a day. Tuesday I even found 6! Not sure how that happened...

Here's a pic to compare a standard hen egg vs a banty egg. I've found that the yolks are almost the same size but the banty egg has less white. Some people we sell our eggs to actually prefer the taste of the banty egg. I do too.

DSC03357.jpg

We are getting 6-7 banty eggs a day from our 10 little girls (cochins). 3 are not yet laying, and 3 are going broody, but that is a lot more eggs than I expected. We are getting 4-5 nice sized eggs daily from the 8 big girls, only 4-5 are laying.

I recently acquired some Dutch girls myself, though it will be a while before they start laying.

Our bantam cochin lays pretty regularly and her eggs are about the size of our Araucana's (which is to say, small) but are rounded and pretty.

We had Coturnix for a while and they laid very nice "cocktail eggs" but the eggs were really a nuisance to peel.

Our OEGB laid every other day or so and her eggs were cream colored and smallish but still respectable. I'm thinking the Dutch eggs may look a bit like hers (especially since we have hatchery stock Dutch, which are usually crossed with OEGB).

Have fun with your new chickies!
smile.png

Banty eggs, compared to mature large-breed hens like RIR, BR, sex links etc are definitely much smaller. The pic in my post was of a banty egg (the lighter one) and a young full-sized hen. Think it might have been one of my BO's. You'll need to use two banty eggs for every large egg in baking.

Quote:
caf.gif
Are you crazy?
somad.gif
What do you get from many other pet breeds (snakes, turtles, fishes, hamster, rabbits, guinea pigs,squirrels, chinchillas, lizards, tarantulas, etc.)?
Maybe just dogs, cats and some breeds of birds ducks/bantams/standard size chickens give you some attention (plus some eggs by birds).
It's just not right to call a bantam owner useless, even more knowing that you are in this forum which is a forum for people that love poultry, where they should respect each other. Anyway as you don't have this point of view I feel free to say that your way of thinking has a 99% probability of come from a useless brain.

Quote:
I have 1 dutch bantam and until she went broody she was laying about 6 eggs a week, my campine bantam lays 5 or 6 and so does my bantam brahma but yes the eggs are tinyyou need 3 or 4 eggs for a breakfast.

Quote:
caf.gif
Are you crazy?
somad.gif
What do you get from many other pet breeds (snakes, turtles, fishes, hamster, rabbits, guinea pigs,squirrels, chinchillas, lizards, tarantulas, etc.)?
Maybe just dogs, cats and some breeds of birds ducks/bantams/standard size chickens give you some attention (plus some eggs by birds).
It's just not right to call a bantam owner useless, even more knowing that you are in this forum which is a forum for people that love poultry, where they should respect each other. Anyway as you don't have this point of view I feel free to say that your way of thinking has a 99% probability of come from a useless brain.

lol at us we're about 2 years too late

Back
Top Bottom