Tell me about shotguns (and a little about pellet guns)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Meesh, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Meesh

Meesh Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    So... I know an additional gun will be in order for me to keep the tasty treats (aka chickens) safe. I sold my .223 mini-14, it was really hard to sight in b/c the barrel gets hot. I am trying to decide if it would be better to buy a shotgun or a pellet gun w/ the proceeds. We have a .17 and a .357 mag.

I would like a gun with deterrent ability, as in when the neighbor's dog is looking around the chicken run. I am going to electric fence it and try to make it very safe for the chickens, I have no doubt their dog will be over at least once, they are 'artists' and don't believe in fencing their dog in [​IMG].

Based on my chicken-raising neighbor's experience, I expect to have some problems with skunks. It would be nice if I could dispatch them with the .17 from far away. Is that reasonable? We have a huge Nikon scope on the .17, and use it for prairie dog control on our ranch.

So PLMK what gun a girl like me needs in order to protect my flock. I would like to have the option of lethal or non-lethal shooting. I thought about a Mossberg 500 with the light and laser sight, as it sounds like a good solution for Things That Come In The Night To Eat Chickens. Or would pellet shot in my .357 be sufficient? If so, I'd give more thought to a pellet gun.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Disclaimer: I have been shooting guns since I was old enough to hold one, and am very familiar with gun safety, etc. Grandpa, however, has discharged a gun in the house - twice. AND he shot a skunk in the cellar once. UFFFFFFF. [​IMG]

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I don't mess with pellet guns. I am more of a shotgun guy. In my opinion, the best shotgun for the money is a Remington 870 12 gauge. I have one and I love it. Very durable and I have hunted lots with it. I don't have any problems with it. Around here you can buy one new for $300. I bought mine used for $125.

If you use a really light load or rock salt rounds, it should be a good deterrent. Plus, if/when that doesn't work, you can always upgrade loads and put the animal down.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I have used a 1000fps pellet rifle and a .22 pellet rifle. I wouldn't use them for anything than a point blank shot into the ear. For real control. I say go for a shot gun. Personally. If I have to shoot an animal, I make sure it is lethal, as a "hull breach" can get infected which would call for a long slow death for the animal.

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I agree with silkiechicken about the preference for lethal shots. I shoot to kill but understand that many people try to deter first. I know a man who shot at his neighbor's dog to deter it and managed to hit it, only for it to run back and die in a 5 year old girl's arms. My general rule is that if I am shooting at something, I am putting it down, but since the original poster wanted info on shotguns for deterring animals, I added the bit about lighter loads.

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Shotgun all the way. The remington 870 12ga would be a great choice. Not my choice of course, but I'm a gun snob, but if you want a good gun for a good price the 870 is great.

6. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    I like the 870 to I was looking at it on there website a couple of weeks ago. I like having a pellet gun to so you can just pop a dog off your land if it looks like it is trying to cause trouble.

7. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    My personal favorite, Remington 870 16ga. Not as bad as the 12ga not as light as the 20ga.

8. yankeemtfarm

yankeemtfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2007
    Gettysburg,Pa
    May i suggest a

A Remington 870 in .410
    or
    Remington SPR94 .410/.22 over under.

If you are looking for a light predator gun.

BA

9. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Sorry, NO LIGHT LOADS, if I have to use my shotgun, it is with 3" mags and triple 0 buckshot. Then my main predator is bear. Still any time you need to shoot something, use a load that will kill it outright. If it happens t be the neighbor's dog, bury it and say NOTHING.

10. yankeemtfarm

yankeemtfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2007
    Gettysburg,Pa
    Quote:I think Meesh was asking for some light predator control ,not something that will stop a bear.

If you want something that most people in the family can shoot,without being afraid of the gun,you need a light accurate gun.

BA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by