Tell me about the Saxony.

WestKnollAmy

The Crazy Chicken Lady
Apr 22, 2008
upstate SC
I have seen so many photos of these beauties and do not find much info on them. I would like to have pretty ducks as well as just layers. I have other breeds and am adding the Golden Cascades but would like to have something as beautiful as the Saxony on the farm, too.

Can you tell me about yours or ones you have had? Laying ability, good with other ducks, okay with just a pool for bathing, size and where do you buy them?
I am looking at Holderreads.
I would like larger ones since they say they are supposed to be good flavored and if I do breed a few the extra males will have to go to freezer camp.

Mostly I adore those beautiful girls! I think I may fall for them as hard as my Runners. But first I need to own some to see.

So do you love them or not?

I just got my first Saxony last summer from another BYC'er and I have to say, I LOVE the breed now. I wish I had had her first, I would have made sure my drake was a Saxony as well and I would have bred a whole flock of them!

My hen, Izzy, is calm, not very loud at all, unless frightened, and very laid back. She's a touch on the shy side, in the sense that she is always hesitant to come up too close to you until she is completely used to you. And if I make any sudden movement I spook her. But she's still plenty social, and always come up with the rest of the group to greet me.

Her size is average, about the size of my Pekin Hen, maybe a touch smaller.

She's GREAT with my other ducks and is miserable if she's away from them (I couldn't keep her quarantined for long because she kept leaping fences, etc. to get to the group). Never picks fights.

She's perfectly fine with our kiddie pool or our stock tank.

Definitely worth getting some, and I plan to get MORE!

Ive bred,raised and shown them for the last 5 yrs.. They are by far my most adored breed.... Good parents, friendly and always the 1st to come get snacks out of my hand. They taste good too... Can't go wrong with them!

Picture708.jpg

actually, I was all set to get the Saxony's after i saw aduckstolemyheart's saxony....Gorgeous!!..but I have 2 Muscovies already and someone told me that if I get Saxonys also, they will crossbreed and I don't want that..but I might get some and keep them penned up in a lg. aviary with a kiddy pool. I read good things about them in the books after seeing that one picture.

Wow, runamuck, your girls are so much LIGHTER than mine! Is it a difference in color phase, age or is mine just super dark?

Here's Izzy just in case you have not seen her coloring:
izzyweb.jpg

Thank you all.
Izzy does steal my heart!
love.gif

But those drakes are mighty nice looking fellas.

How about eggs? Do they lay a good many or not so great?
I thought about getting rid of my Campbells but won't if the Saxony do not lay too well.

I don't have much experience with other Saxony ducks, but my girls a good layer. Not quite every day like my Pekin, but still very nice.
smile.png

And those Drakes are stunning! I thought the same thing when I saw them!

I do love the coloring on the boys and girls. They sure will look pretty running around the barnyard. I am happy with beauty and eggs but with them coming not sexed then I know I will probably get to try the meat.

I am getting 6 Saxonys from Holderreads this Spring.
smile.png
I had Pekins last year, still have two left, but wanted to have something different this year. The Saxony seems to be exactly what I want. Good looking and good tasting.

Back
Top Bottom