Tell me about your sweet gentle roosters!

Oh, he was drop dead gorgeous! I am so sorry!!! How sad to lose such a wonderful rooster. Sounds like he was just the type I am hoping for. Where did you get him?
unfortunately I am in Canada, so not an American hatchery. he had 11 brothers (three were his identical twins) and we weren’t going to keep any of them, but the morning we were loading them all to send to the abattoir I just couldn’t stand to crate him. I’m so glad I did as he was a delight to watch grow into a fine gentleman who really did take the most excellent care of his hens.

we have now raised 4 roosters - one became aggressive towards us at around 10 months old. he then turned into a monster towards his hens and now he’s been processed. that was Buckbeak the Lavender Orpington. next was Rufio the BCM cross who was very friendly until one day he wasn’t. he became people aggressive and after the situation with Buckbeak, we weren’t going to risk him hurting any hens (he was living in a “bachelor pad” situation). then there’s Pete an Ameraucana x Svarthona who is still alive but not for much longer. he is ok with the ladies, a little more “overactive” than I would like and has taken off a couple feathers, but isn’t really mean towards them. and he is fine towards us, not friendly like Mike, just not interested, but not mean. he doesn’t fit into any of our future breeding plans though and I don’t love his energy enough to keep him in the hen house, so he will be getting processed soon. therefore I am 1.5/4 (calling Pete a half win here, but he’s no Mike) for raising good roosters and they were all raised the same way so I don’t think there is a magic equation for how to ensure you get a good rooster. I think it’s just luck of the draw unfortunately!

Yeah, I got it. It’s just good to hear that EEs from big hatcheries can turn out well, too, because they probably don’t particularly focus on temperament in their breeding.
No. They just focus on mass producing them sadly. Big red was actually the third rooster we tried out. Being the first be be friendly enough to stay.

This is my almost 3 year old, Prince. He is the best rooster I've ever owned. He has always displayed calmness, very alert, and very gentle to the hens. There's never been any issues with him and he let's me pick him up whenever I need too. Never bites or thrashes towards me. He's also a Swedish flower breed.

I've hatched eggs from him and his sons display the same traits.
VideoCapture_20220131-141800.jpg
20220325_164341.jpg

Yeah, I got it. It’s just good to hear that EEs from big hatcheries can turn out well, too, because they probably don’t particularly focus on temperament in their breeding.
I had three EE cockerels at once. I ordered them from Murray McMurray hatchery, and they were wonderful boys. They were disciplined by the older hens, and they grew into kind, respectful boys. Unfortunately, we had to get rid of them because Blue didn’t like them.

This is my almost 3 year old, Prince. He is the best rooster I've ever owned. He has always displayed calmness, very alert, and very gentle to the hens. There's never been any issues with him and he let's me pick him up whenever I need too. Never bites or thrashes towards me. He's also a Swedish flower breed.

I've hatched eggs from him and his sons display the same traits.
View attachment 3125417View attachment 3125418
He is stunning. Colors almost exactly like my Wesley. Yours has the disposition I had hoped for when I got mine, since Greenfire says they are never human aggressive (and I had just given away my absolute beast of a Welsumer rooster). I didn’t get mine from Greenfire though, but either from Meyer or MPC, I can’t remember now. Maybe their lines are not as good? Where did you get Prince?

unfortunately I am in Canada, so not an American hatchery. he had 11 brothers (three were his identical twins) and we weren’t going to keep any of them, but the morning we were loading them all to send to the abattoir I just couldn’t stand to crate him. I’m so glad I did as he was a delight to watch grow into a fine gentleman who really did take the most excellent care of his hens.

we have now raised 4 roosters - one became aggressive towards us at around 10 months old. he then turned into a monster towards his hens and now he’s been processed. that was Buckbeak the Lavender Orpington. next was Rufio the BCM cross who was very friendly until one day he wasn’t. he became people aggressive and after the situation with Buckbeak, we weren’t going to risk him hurting any hens (he was living in a “bachelor pad” situation). then there’s Pete an Ameraucana x Svarthona who is still alive but not for much longer. he is ok with the ladies, a little more “overactive” than I would like and has taken off a couple feathers, but isn’t really mean towards them. and he is fine towards us, not friendly like Mike, just not interested, but not mean. he doesn’t fit into any of our future breeding plans though and I don’t love his energy enough to keep him in the hen house, so he will be getting processed soon. therefore I am 1.5/4 (calling Pete a half win here, but he’s no Mike) for raising good roosters and they were all raised the same way so I don’t think there is a magic equation for how to ensure you get a good rooster. I think it’s just luck of the draw unfortunately!
I have been reading that a lot recently (well I have been reading about mean and good roosters a lot recently… :) ) that it really is just luck, and there’s nothing special you can do so they turn out nice and nothing you can do to make them not aggressive once they become that way.
Whenever anyone posts here about bad rooster the chorus is “cook him”, no point in wasting time with a bad roo when there are so many good ones out there.
I just don’t know how to get my hands on a good one! :)

Thank you! He is a Blue Maran mix.

All the nice roosters I’ve had are mixes. I have many mixed cockerels right now, and they are quite nice boys! This is Pancake, his daddy is Gus, the first rooster I posted, and he is the sweetest, most mellow thing ever-View attachment 3125356

A better picture of Gus’ full body-View attachment 3125357
Aaawww! Pancake is adorable!
Yes, I have noticed that in this thread with the exception of one BLRW, one SFH and the Chanticlers, all the very good boys are mixed breeds.
Thank you! He is a Blue Maran mix.

All the nice roosters I’ve had are mixes. I have many mixed cockerels right now, and they are quite nice boys! This is Pancake, his daddy is Gus, the first rooster I posted, and he is the sweetest, most mellow thing ever-View attachment 3125356

A better picture of Gus’ full body-View attachment 3125357

Back
Top Bottom