Tell me this is a pullet (serious case of denial)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pbjmaker, Oct 6, 2009.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    This is a chick hatched from one of the last eggs my EE laid this year (she is still on moulting leave apparently) S/he is almost 8 weeks old. Mama was an EE as I stated and I'm 99% sure that the papa is my black copper roo.

I am leaning toward male because of the pink/red color that developed this past week. BUT the comb isn't raised at all yet. It is very flat - so that makes me think girl.

Besides the fact that s/he eats like a growing teenage boy - what do you all think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the bread I used to bribe him to stay. Yes he has thick legs - but so does mom.

[​IMG]

2. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    It's hard to tell with EE birds sometimes, as usual, but it does looks pretty henny to me.

3. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I love this bird but can't keep it if it is a roo. S/he comes running to me all the time and thinks I'm her personal chew toy - like a teething puppy.

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Looks like a pullet to me!

Did the black copper maran male have feathered-legs?

5. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    Looks like a pullet to me. [​IMG]

6. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:Yep - this is mom:

[​IMG]

This is dad:

[​IMG]

7. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    The stance says pullet to me.

My EE hen still looks like a boy because of her posture, but is a girl - nice rounded feathers. Just keep watching for those bad pointy feathers, that's when you know (or if it starts to crow, but [​IMG] not!!). I've found that my EE's have been the hardest to sex. They change so much. Right now I have one that says girl in every way accept for it's comb which has been red for a while, but has stayed small - it's a rose comb. The bird acts like a girl, and has not shown any roosterish behavior, and I'm hoping it stays that way!

By the way, I think your birds name should be Raven, boy or girl! [​IMG]

8. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Wow, the Mom is BEAUTIFUL!! Does she lay colored eggs?

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I think it's a pullet too.

10. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:Thank you.

When she used to lay they were a lovely shade of green.
    I want this girl to be a pullet so I can get olive eggs and I want mom to start laying again. It's been about 11 weeks since she last laid. - I think its time to put a light in the coop, the days have been getting to short.

I have one daughter that is laying from her - her eggs are tan with brown speckles (I think).

Bubby (the mom) is very picky about who she mates with and when and it is hard to get a fertile egg from her. This is her daughter Chubby Bubby:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by