Tell me why you keep Roosters...

I have two Plymouth Rock roos I have raised since day old. They are almost a year old now. Never shown any aggression at all untill about two months ago. The smaller of the two started charging my 4 year old son. I didn't want to sentience him to the fryer but he can't be charging or aggressive. I decided to do the "show them to be submissive" trick you do with dogs. Every time he showed aggression I grabed him up, layed him flat on his back (well as much as you can lay a bird on his back lol) and in a dominate voice told him "no". I dont know if it got thru to him or just annoyed him untill he stopped.
Sounds stupid but it worked. Only had to do it a handfull of times and it's now been around two months with no aggression at all from him. My 4 year old plays in the coop, in the fenced in area I use for my run, and in the yard with them free ranging.

For protection, I would keep at least one if you can. :)
I wish I could have a rooster but we can only have hens in city limits.

Like most on here I keep a couple of roosters for protection when free ranging and for chicks in the spring.On a more personal note I love all the different noises they make chirping ,grunting, cooing and growling not to mention the crowing. One more thing they are so beautiful.
love.gif

Above is a picture of my batchelor roo coop. Taken at night.

I keep everybody. I currently have 14 hens and 13 roos. I keep 9 of the roos in a batchelor coop they have a 16 foot run and all get along relatively well. I keep 1 roo with my hens and 3 of the roos are really cockerels that are in the main coop. I only have Bantams. All my chickens live out their natural life span. Most of the roos (10) are Ameracuna 's 6 are Blue Wheaten and 4 are Wheaten. Of my 3 cockerels I have 2 cuckoo marans and 1 Welsummer. I have only had one of the Blue Wheaten roos show me any aggression and only when collecting eggs from his favorite hen. Since he is in with the roo only coop now he is not aggressive. The older roo in the main coop keeps an eye on the hens and the younger chickens.

I keep all my roos because they are beautiful and I enjoy watching them interact. I will separate the Welsummers 1 roo and 2 hens next spring to hatch a few more. I will try to acquire a few more cuckoo marans hens.

My goal is a colorful egg basket. I also have 2 special needs hens one is just a bit brain damaged (during hatch) and the other a crossbeak. They both have interesting characters and both add eggs to my egg basket.

They say birds of a feather flock together. I have found that the blue wheaten roos keep together and the wheaten roos keep together.

below is a picture of the main run.

because my little silver sebright roosters Victor and Adam are Frickin' Adorable!!! all the beauty of a rooster in a bird the size of a pigeon, Sparkles my black sex link rooster however is probably goin back to my friends house soon they live further away from town cause that dude won't shut up and he's a bossy butt( but his Sister Anyanka is worse, heaven forbid you go in that coup without proper tribute she knows there are tomatoes somewhere! ;) )

I secretly want to have a rooster. My husband has said he is fine with 15 hens and no way, no how, any roosters. I have straight run chicks coming at the end of the month and we know how those odds work out. I'm hoping the brand new double paned sound dampening windows will let me convince him to keep one. We live in the country so there are no restrictions. Fingers crossed....

I find that not always true.. my two roosters when i had two i just have one now, i raised both of them from eggs and there both over a year old hormones have kicked in at high intensity and there both sweet as can be. well the one i have still is a sweet heart he will come sit on my lap with one of his favorite girls all the time and coo up to her and me. he's never shown any aggression to me what so ever. he only try's to hit on me by dancing around me i will take him on car rides cause he loves to put his head out the window he's just like a kitty cat and falls asleep as i pet and scratch him all over.. and he is my PET.. 

I agree with you that making a pet out of them does not ALWAYS lead to agression. But it seems that most of the time it does. You can read many stories on this website where somebody's rooster is attacking them and they can understand why because he was always so sweet. Usually they go on to tell what a sweet pet he WAS, now he is awful. But I do wish you the best with your roo.

Here is a picture of my roo doing a big part of his job. He called some of his ladies over and showed them where something good to eat was then watched over them as they eat.

Back
Top Bottom