tell the difference between turkey poult and chicken chick

pdonoho

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 10, 2013
Almost two weeks ago I had quail, duck and a chicken eggs ready to hatch. With luck most of the eggs hatched Christmas eve and Christmas day. That was wonderful!

I now have 10 cute quail, 4 ducklings and 1 chick. Here's my question- this chick looks different from any other chick I have hatched. My adult chickens, ducks and turkeys all reside in the same run. We have different houses for each one- but they seem to visit each other a lot. The eggs in the incubator were all mixed up some brown, some white, both small and large sizes. As far as I know- my turkeys were not laying eggs but.... this chick sure looks different. Seems larger for it's age, longer legged, fewer feathers, not all white/yellow. Has a more solid ridge on beak than I remember from previous chicks. But I don't have another young chick to compare it with. Any idea on how I can determine if this is a turkey or chicken (other than the obvious- wait and see- I'm not very good at that- lol) Any ideas?

It sounds like a turkey poult from your description however colour and markings are all different depending on breed. How long did the "chick" take to hatch? Post some pics.

I really don't remember about specific eggs because all of them were during Christmas eve/Christmas day- and my world was a little busy.
smile.png
I'm attempting to attach a picture or two but I'm new at this. I think I did it- let me know. Thanks

No thats defininately a chicken. You can tell by many things including the comb, colour, stance etc.

Thanks!! Guess you can tell we're new at this huh?
big_smile.png
Hopefully this spring I'll see my first baby turkey!

Experience. When you have seen tons of chicks its as easy as telling the difference between a dog and a cat.You don't learn it, you just pick it up the more poultry you keep.

I really don't remember about specific eggs because all of them were during Christmas eve/Christmas day- and my world was a little busy.
smile.png
I'm attempting to attach a picture or two but I'm new at this. I think I did it- let me know. Thanks
OK...your chick looks like our BuffyLegs...we have a Buff Orpington Rooster and he was in with our White Leghorn hens. Our girl babies between the mix have more white than "Buff" but the little cockerels look just like this..heavier body, lots more buff.

I'm really hoping it turns out to be a hen not a rooster- out of the 12 eggs that we hatched last time- 11 were roosters and one hen. I need some girls!!!! LOL

I'm really hoping it turns out to be a hen not a rooster- out of the 12 eggs that we hatched last time- 11 were roosters and one hen. I need some girls!!!! LOL
We read that putting vinegar in your hen's water helps to tilt the scales towards more pullets. I have even read a few reports on line that say it works for more animals than just chickens..including humans. When we hatch eggs from our in-laws, we do get a lot of boys and they do not add vinegar to their birds' water, but when we hatch our own, we get a higher percentage of girls. Maybe it is just coincidence..maybe not. Can't hurt to try since unfiltered vinegar has so many other benefits for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom