Tell us all about your favorite chicken,why she/he is your favorite

Churkenduse

Songster
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
This whole idea of raising chickens for meat or eggs has me fascinated. I have a girl Tina, at first I didn't much like her. She was just a chicken. Something happened she bacame more to me and this amazes me. After all I just wanted fresh eggs.

She is now more of a buddy, she follows me, she actually runs to me when she hears the door of my house slide. She is my only layer right now. I know it is crazy but she actually looks proud to have given me her eggs. When I go collect an egg she jumps into the coop and runs over to the egg and watches me pick it up. It is like she is giving it to me.
Sometimes she won't eat her treat till I pick her up and pet her.

Please tell us about your favorite "chicken" friend.

hugs.gif
:aww
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

This is my Tina her eags that I thought were someone elses, and she i checking them out.

firsteggs008.jpg

coopbase009.jpg

Last edited:
Thats really cute, I wonder if she is trying to protect her eggs? I always hide the eggs when I steal them as If i get sprung, the girls all get cranky at me.
I love my Blackie, australorp cross, she and I have a "thing" something which I cant describe but she follows me and is by my side whenever im out the back, which is most of the time.
I dont pick her up bit I pat her when she squats for me. She is the boss chook.
She has beautiful kind eyes and if Im sad which is next to never, she will sit next to me and blink at me. Beautiful creature.

I love my Blackie, australorp cross, she and I have a "thing" something which I cant describe but she follows me and is by my side whenever im out the back,

That is exactly how it is with me and Tina. It is funny sort of bond. Thank you, that is what I am looking for.

love.gif

Isn't it funny....I got chickens for eggs and meat too. Then those little chicks showed up and I just fell in love with them. They are wonderful pets. I had a lot of resistance from family and friends about getting them and felt I had to prove that they were clean and friendly animals. Now they are like any other pet (well a little more special to me ) My FIL is getting his first order of chicks next month, because he fell in love with mine. LOL He was really against them at first. Every time I look outside one of the kids or my in laws or my husband is out talking to the chickens. I think they are awesome, loving, pets...Plus someday I will get eggs from them
fl.gif
I have two favs. One is a white rock named Bitty ( she is smaller than the rest and very sweet.
The other is my rooster Macho ( not so sweet LOL) but I love his macho attitude and they way he struts around.

ok so i have a favorite chicken named gumpy. lol crazy name
anyway he is the weakest out of our golden duckwings and the big gusy always pick on him. so he is all alone in his own little cage, and whenever i go to give him food he runs up to the front and when i open the cahe he'll jump on my hand run up to my shoulder and try to crow. its so cute. so then i put him on my lap and all the dogs are distanced away so he just sits there and stares at me and cocks his head left and right, then he;ll go to sleep and i'll put him back finish taking care of the rest and make sure all the cages are shut. then when he wakes back up about 10 mins later he lays on his side [this is the best part] and rolls around once or twice as in a thanks for everything.

my other fav. chicken another golden duckwing is the "cock of the roost" when he was a little chick he almost got killed and now he has a little gap in his head and we call him hulk because he when he got his feathers back he didnt have any hair on the top of his head for the longest time so we thought he looked liek hulk hogan with bald on the top and blond going down the sides and now, he is the main man, first one to crow, meanest and owns all the other chickens but he is somewhat nice to us. lo. the reason he is my favorite is because of him surviving when no one thought he would of and look at him now =]

i'll get pics of them later

I know exactly what you mean. Out of the 4 cochins (see thread below)
my black one is definately my baby. She follows me and comes right to me when I call her. She loves to be held and I can get her to do anything and the others will follow. She loves attention and has been that way since she was a chick. She's just special!
smile.png

Pics of the 4 and my roo below

Jacie

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30572

Back
Top Bottom