Help! chicken won't let us get eggs from under her!

silki girl

Chirping
Nov 23, 2023
I have a silki chicken that won't let us get the eggs out from under her! if you just put your hands near her when she is sitting in the nesting box she will peck you so hard it hurts! she is also a mean chicken. what do I do? dose she not like me?

She's being broody there's a lot of info on here for broody hens that will be helpful. Basically her mother instincts kicked in and she's incubating and protecting the eggs so they can hatch. Grab some gloves and pull her out or she'll stay on them for 3 weeks barely eating or drinking and she'll stop laying too make sure to collect all eggs and maybe block off your nesting boxes to prevent her from being broody.

I have a silki chicken that won't let us get the eggs out from under her! if you just put your hands near her when she is sitting in the nesting box she will peck you so hard it hurts! she is also a mean chicken. what do I do? dose she not like me?
Wear gloves if she pecks that hard, lift her up and take the eggs.

But if you're not wanting her to hatch eggs at this time, breaking her is a good option.

Oven mitts work very well - the tall kind that go up your arm a little, for extended protection.
🤭

Happy Merry Christmas GIF by Lifetime

Back
Top Bottom