Ended Tell Us Your Funniest Chicken Story to Win Six Bags of Feed from Nutrena!

My silver dorking hen is quite tame and can be toted about. The funny part is that when you carry her she works her neck as if she is walking...back and forth in that chickeny way that they do.....if you walk fast while carrying her she works that neck fast and if you slow down she slows her neck down..it cracks me up every time...maybe im just easily entertained...;0)

I have been raising hens for almost 3 years now. This last summer the family decided it was time to add to our farm and we bought 2 horses. Now, I want to tell you that our yard is very "chickenized" all the great spots have already been staked out by the free-ranging flock of 25 that we currently have outside. (I say outside because we have 27 more in the brooder inside). So to begin with the horses were being boarded at a loacal horse farm. A few weeks ago we decided it was time to put up an electric fence and in order to do that I was going to have to remove one of the chickens favorite places to "hang out" and get clean, I mean seriously it looks like one of those Japaneese bath houses when they are all up there doing their thing. So last weekend we cleared that spots that needed cleared and started putting in the cedar poles. At first the chickens were really excited that we were doing the digging for them. Once we started putting up the electric fencing though is when the trouble started. We got the first line up and nice and tight and a few of them thought it would be a great place to roost. Since it was not turned on yet we thought nothing of it. So the day ended with only one side all the way up and tight and we had plans for the rest of the weekend so we did not finish till this weekend. Now, by this point they were ALL roosting on the fence during the day and heading into the coops at night. We did not want to freak them out so we did not charge the fence till Saturday evening, after the horses were in there and the chickens were in their coop. Sunday morning we went out to check on the horses and let the chickens out and found out our mistaken thinking. Our Roo is always the first out and the first one to hit the fence and roost. Sunday being no exception he ran right out and jumped right on.... Well, as soon as his feet hit the fence and his feathered wings hit the top line it sent a nice little shock to him and he fell right off screaming mad all the way!! The hens notice this and notice (for the first time) the horses in the pasture and as a group went off like a shot into the pature to attack the horses(because they must have been the ones to hurt thier Roo). The Roo on the other hand was busy attacking the heck out of the cedar post that the electric fencing was connected to. The horses see approx 20 mad hens running at them and freak out. I was rolling on the ground laughing at all this and figured they would figure it out. ( I might add that my horses have never seen chickens before). So I went inside to make myself breakfast and when I came out an hour or so later I find that the chickens have "sealed" off the corner of the pasture where their little bath house used to be and every time one of the horses tried to go up there one of them would charge the horse till she turned around and went the other way. I love my chickens and adding new animals to our little farm is looking to be better than watching TV!! I wish I wold have had the video camera out though for the introduction of horses and chickens. This morning when I went to let the chicks out the horses were in their bath house are and when I went to work had a bunch of angry hens surrounding them.

We have three cats, two of whom like to roam. Every time one doesn't come in at night I think, "That's it. A coyote got that one." One morning, after one of these nights, my husband went out to let the chickens out of the coop and give them their morning feed, and who should come strolling out of the coop but our missing cat. He stretched and yawned in the doorway before slowly walking down the ramp like it was the most natural thing in the world. The silly boy slept all night in the coop with the girls and they never made a peep!

We now have 8 chickens (so much for this screen name). I let them free range during the day in the backyard. They tuck themselves in at night and I just close up the coop door. A couple nights ago, I forgot until it was pretty late. I walked outside in the dark and checked the roosting bar to make sure they were all there. I counted 7. I started to panic. I counted them again. 7. ACK! We do have a fox in our area and he scarfed up my neighbor's hen so I was pretty sure that he got one of my girls too. I ran inside to grab a flashlight so I could start looking under our pine trees to see if I could find her in case she just got lost. I couldn't find her anywhere. I was so upset! I went to lock the coop door and thought I would flash the light in there to see how they integrated (2 flocks, as you know, can be crazy). That's when I saw my eighth hen! She was roosting on the bracket and not the bar. I couldn't see her because the other girls were blocking my view!
OMG the very same thing happened to me!
It's very nerve racking!

A few months ago I had my husband put some golf balls in the nesting boxes since the girls would be laying any time. Well he put too many in (4 per nest) so I had him take some out. Our 3 year old was with him and when he took them out she started yelling... "Balls, Balls chickens don't lay balls... They lay eggs... Not Balls...".. So about two days later I took her out to check for eggs and lifted her up so she could see the egg box and she got this angry face and just said "Oh more golf balls....". Now that they are laying she has learned that they do not lay golf balls but she actually does get eggs...

When my husband built our chicken coop, he installed an automatic waterer. As he was putting the waterer together and attaching it to the coop wall, the hens watched him intently. He was holding a small screw to attach the top, and one of the hens grabbed the screw and swallowed it. My husband squawked loudly! The hen was perfectly happy.

So we have this hen that wasn't supposed to live. The feed store had doomed her death as she was too weak to put out with the other chicks. Of course I took her home. The vet told me that it was highly unlikely she would live. 2 weeks later, she appeared to be on death's door, and I took her to another vet---same response. That darn chick spent weeks in my pocket, even accompanying us on our Easter road trip to be with family. 7 months later, "Pockets" now thinks she is one of dogs. She doesn't cluck, she barks. She hangs out in the dog bed and laid her very first egg there. She sits at the back door and barks to get let in. A few days ago, I was in a hurry to get to work on time. I let the dogs out one last time to go potty and then rushed out the door, not knowing that Pockets had followed the dogs in and gone unnoticed. I came home for lunch and to let the dogs out, and found a broken glass all over the kitchen floor. Since our largest dog has been known to counter-surf, I immediately scolded her and she ran to hide. However, as I was sweeping, I noticed a tell-tale bit of chicken poop by the kitchen door. Hmmmm. . .as far as I knew, no chicken had been in the house recently. As I walked through the house, I noticed a picture frame tipped over on a table, and then another bit of poop by the front door. Truly suspicious now, I asked the dogs whether they'd been having a little chicken party. However, no sign at all of any chicken anywhere in the normal spots---not in the dog bed, not in the bunny hay, not behind the computer. . . All of a sudden "WOOF" comes from the back part of the house. That darn chicken was in my bathroom admiring herself in the full-length mirror! And apparently she liked what she saw, because yesterday when she dashed in the back door, she headed directly down the hall to the bathroom to continue her preening in front of the mirror! Needless to say, I apologized to the dog!

Last edited:
As I was busy taking care of chicks in the brooder my mother offered to check on the silkies for me. I finished up my chores and as I was walking out the door to go to the coops all of a sudden I hear, "I'm done! I'm done! I'm not doing this anymore!" I go around the corner and my mother is slamming the door to the run closed. I knew right then what had happened. My little dainty partridge roo had flogged my mother. He was a little upset he didn't have any hens. She says, "Look what he did!" pointing to her leg. She had a scratch from him getting her. As awful as it is, I can't help but laugh my head off. My mother has insisted on not going into my standard pen because she doesn't want my big rooster to get her but she thought she could handle the silkies. The little fluffball proved her wrong!

I have only had chickens for the last year, and have had as many as 8 in the backyard. The current 6 have a habit of running loose in the yard as much as they can, and the 2 youngest jump fences. They don't fly, they jump onto fences, put there to keep them out of veggies or out of the 'human area' of the yard and hop into the areas they want to tear up. However, come feeding time everyone is at the open spaces in the fence looking at the backdoor, yelling for the food to come. When I get the feed and any extra goodies, they run around my feet like the first one to get stepped on is going to get the goodies...or perhaps if they trip me, they can have it all.

Since we added a pair of ducks to the mix it has been fun, too. I have a male Muskovey and had to get him a girl Muskovey to make sure he didn't keep attacking the hens. Sweets, however, since he is the only 'boy' in the yard, doesn't discriminate. He now dutifully herds the hens and his girl up the stairs as it gets dark, makes sure everyone is in the house for the night, then perches himself in the doorway to guard his hen and duck house.

th.gif

Tingles

Mom hugs dad and smiles. The night grows old and our friends leave, I don’t realize how late it has become and I walk across the empty house, across the cold tiles to open a sliding door.

Its frightfully chilly outside at our newly purchased home, the stars accent the dark, night sky and the smell of freshly placed hay lingers in the air. Small, almost ticklish sounds can be heard towards the chicken coop. I walk across the yard, into the chicken run, and the into the coop. The odd sound is louder now, but my flashlight isn’t working. Strange tingling feelings run across my feet, something crawls on my leg. Suddenly, the flashlight works. Hundreds of thousands, it seemed, of orange Beetles run to scatter in the coop, near the roosting chickens, near the egg boxes, in the hay, under the feeder and past me.

I let out a scream and some eww-ewW-EWWs! Someone opens our sliding door, our new neighbors turn on their back porch lights. I suddenly yell, "Get 'em chickens (eww!) Get 'em! Get 'em!" My arms grab each chicken off the roost in a desperate attempt to rid of Utah's foreign invader, the Japanese Beetle. Heavy laughter comes from the porch and our new neighbors across the way but my flock had defeated the Japanese beetles to end my sorrow of the creepy crawlers of the night in a mere 20 seconds. The laughter dies and the coop door is shut, I walk inside and simply shutter.

The End!

A True Story By,
Whittni

968694687.jpg
I edited mine :)

Back
Top Bottom