telling silkie chicks apart

Katzinthehat

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 3, 2009
My agri-science class is incubating chicks as a class project (that is where my family is getting our first dozen chicks once the school is done with them) and i am really hoping for a silkie chick!
big_smile.png
there are a couple of creamy colored eggs in the bator, but once they hatch, i predict that most of the chicks will look alike. are there any other chickens with more-then-four toes or are silkies the only breed? also, are there any other external ways to tell a silkie chick from others without being iffy?
-future silkie lover

Sultans I know are another breed that have five toes. Another way to tell is that silkies have feathered feet, and, depending on genetics, can have a vaulted skull and/or a top knot(the head poof). Also, they have black skin. I hope this helps.
smile.png

I think Silkies are the only breed to have black skin, so if the skin is black, its a silkie. Also check for 5 toes. Not all silkies have a vaulted head, so just forget about that, unless you see a black skinned chick with a vaulted head.

Last edited:
yes 5 toe black skin flat comb sultans have a v comb

here some pics of adults sultand and silkies there the only ones that would look alike when there young!
13569_sultans.jpg

13569_pc280023.jpg

thnx peeps, but can you define 'vaulted head' for me
idunno.gif
, i'm kinda new to all this vocab
hmm.png

1868_Variation_F878.1_fig36.jpg

A is the vaulted chicken head (usually seen on crested breeds).
B is the skull of a non-crested bird.

True, not all silkies will have a vaulted head, but it is desirable. Either way...if it has a vaulted skull and feathers on it's legs..pretty good chance it's a silkie.

So...things to look for:
5 toes (MAY have it)
Black Skin
Vaulted Skull (MAY have it)
Beard (MAY have it)
Feathers on legs

Back
Top Bottom