Telling these chicks apart? Barnies, Wellies, and EE's... *Update* They're here & I think I've got i

off-grid hen

Songster
Mar 1, 2011
Upstate NY
I'm pretty sure I've got them pegged correctly. Question for you EE experts... What will my EE chicks (as their current colors) look like when full grown? If you have picks of chicks and adults, share them! (If there's already another thread about this, then pleaese link me. ) Nevermind, I found it.

Welsummer 1

Welsummer 2

EE 1 and 2

EE 3

EE 4- she's so obvious! Her cheeks are HUGE! :D

Barnevelder 1 (the other one was DOA :( )

Last edited:
I think it is just fun trying to guess which is which! Yes, if you have muffed EEs, the muffs should be apparant as dayolds...I don't have any pics of my wellies, and I have never had barnies, so here are some EE chicks. I think leg color may help in identification too.

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

birdie057.jpg

P1010606.jpg

You can very clearly see her muffs in this picture.

P1010607.jpg

P1010599.jpg

I guess I don't really NEED to know, but it would be nice when reporting any losses to the hatchery, should that happen. Also, I think it'd just be nice to look in the brooder and know what/who everyone is. "Those two are barnelvelders, those two are welsummers, those two are easter eggers..." etc. I'm geeky like that.
tongue.png

Thanks, kari_dawn, for the photos.
love.gif

*edit for typos. I hope I got them all.

Last edited:
That's ok by me.

I generally know all the breeds of my chicks, but then I hatch my own.
I was just curious to know why you'd be concerned about stock rec'd from a hatchery since you'll be able to tell in less than 6 weeks.

Years ago I hatched Black Shamo, Black Asil and Black Cubalayas all at the same time. It took forever to be able to tell them apart (a few months).
I swore I'd never do that again. lol.

Quote:
That is funny.
big_smile.png

What if I have a DOA in the box? They are different prices, so it may be helpful to know how much to refund. That and I could look at chick pictures all day. It also increases my knowledge about the different breeds as chicks, as I'm new at this.

I have not had either Barnevelders or Welsummer, so I really can’t help you with those. These photos are from Feathersite. Once you get the chicks, you might be able to tell them apart. Look for differences in down color or maybe leg color. From a quick look, the down pattern may not be all that different, but down color could be.

With hatchery EE’s, there is nothing you can go by that might identify them except that they will be different from the others. They might or might not have muffs or tufts, leg color may or may not be different, down color and pattern will probably be different. So look for differences from the others more than anything specific that would identify them. There are just no rules for EE’s. If you are getting two EE’s, those two might look totally different from each other.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Barnev/BRKBarnev.html#BarneChix

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wels/BRKWelsummers.html#WelsChik

Ok, I edited the original post. I'm pretty sure I've got them pegged correctly. If you didn't see above... Question for you EE experts... What will my EE chicks (if you can tell from their current colors) look like when full grown? If you have picks of chicks and adults, share them here, please! (If there's already another thread about that then please link me!)- nevermind I found it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom