temminck tragopan pen plans

Well if you read the replies,oo7sean asked you if it was just the shelter part of your pen.According to Keith Howmans "Pheasants of the World"tragopans should be a minimum of 400 sq ft.Of course not many use these guidelines.Plus all pheasants like to look around their surroundings.
In N.H.,Tony.
I’m only putting one pair or maybe a trio in there. Yea I do remember reading that from him. 400sqft would be a 20x20 building for one pair? I think that would be way more space than they would need In my opinion but what do I know I’m just starting. I am also putting up netting and a fence at least twice the size of the building

I like putting a pitched roof as I use the bottom of the pitch for their perch.My breeders seem to do good with the 6x12 and 8x16 pens.But bigger is always better if you have the space.Both set and hatch,but I would rather run 2 pairs then a trio,this way you can raise unrelated birds.The pic is an example of the pitch being used as a perch.I build a 2' knee wall to attach the pitch to and that is their perch.And the best part is they are 100% under the roof,absolutely no drafts blow straight on them.One more trick I learned over the years is to have your door 1' off the ground so if the snow freezes you can still open the door with no problems.
In N.H.,Tony.
Can you take another pic of how you made your perch? I don’t quite follow. Thanks

I build a square box 12'wx12'lx6'h split it into 2 6x12.On top of the 6'box I build a 2'knee wallso the middle is 2'hiugher then the sides.I put the pitched roof from the top of the 2' knee wall down to the 6' box.So if you look at it from the end you have a pitched roof with a knee wall in the center,this is their perch.I've seen people have drawing on here I wish I knew how to do it,it would be much easier.I will go out and take some pics and post them later.
In N.H.,Tony.

What kind of predators do you have in your area?I think you will need to anchor it into the ground as high winds could blow it over.And if you have bears in your area ,they are surely going to push it over with no effort.You can't think of their pen as a place that they can't get out of.You have to build it so predators can't get into it.
In N.H.,Tony.

Attachments

• 100_1356.JPG
    100_1356.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_0407.JPG
    100_0407.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 30
What kind of predators do you have in your area?I think you will need to anchor it into the ground as high winds could blow it over.And if you have bears in your area ,they are surely going to push it over with no effort.You can't think of their pen as a place that they can't get out of.You have to build it so predators can't get into it.
In N.H.,Tony.
I don’t think I have to worry about bears lol. I have some steel poles I was going to push in the ground to anchor it I guess that way I can still move it if I have to

In N.H.,Tony.
So what do you have for protection in the winter for your birds? Do you put something around the perimeter?

[QUOTE="Tony K T, post: 19674597,
Now I need to find another male so I don't have to switch my lone male back and forth.Anybody have an extra?He needs to be climatized to cold.
In N.H.,Tony.[/QUOTE]
humm extra this time of year?? This is there courtship season LOL just thought I’d give you crap. No offense

Back
Top Bottom