temminicks tragopan

I have a weakness for palawan pheasants
So do I! 2013 was the first year I saw peacock pheasants in general. Now when I saw palawans a month or two ago for the first time, I was amazed! They were smaller than I expected and so gorgeous. What makes it worse is the breeder who I saw them at is just half an hour away. Then I have phone number for someone around an hour away with them and more. Then I know two other guys in NY with greys other than the ones I mentioned.

Palawans seems to have a very diffrent diet than poultry-peas and ornamental pheasants.I'd love to find a 2013 hatched trio of palawans reasonably priced but I'm afraid I'd lose them somehow before breeding season. I've just located a seller of some excellent peach ornamental pheasants that I can afford.I've got breeding quads of Yellow,Red,Dark Red throat and Lady Amherst that all are over 5 years old now,but I cannot get peach past about 2 years,so I'm sure that luck would follow if I got Palawans too.

Blue Creek,the Palwans are top eye candy but the greys are also eye catching.I need to read up on both,as far as males to hen ratio,,diets,pen space and whats beneficial to keeping them healthy-ect. But if they maybe could spare some and the price is somewhat affordable,,I'd like to have at least on species this spring so please learn what you can,thanxs

No problem. I will gather some prices. But I think the male to hen ratio is 1:1... I could be wrong. Tony in the pheasants section would really help. I did start a peacock pheasant thread a long time ago there so you could revive that thread and ask them there if you would not more information from people on here.

Blue Creek,the Palwans are top eye candy but the greys are also eye catching.I need to read up on both,as far as males to hen ratio,,diets,pen space and whats beneficial to keeping them healthy-ect. But if they maybe could spare some and the price is somewhat affordable,,I'd like to have at least on species this spring so please learn what you can,thanxs
The Palawan is endangered species and you need a special license to own them. I was reading the bird auction (I think MT hOPE) pages that a lot of people go to and there is a list of birds that the seller and the buyers must show the proper paperwork in order to buy and sell and the Palawan Peacock Pheasant was the first on the list. I believe it was under the endangered species section of the rules. Franchy you will need a heated pen for them as they are tropical, cold temps will kill them
sad.png
Oh, the female feeds the chicks beak to beak until they are old enough to eat on their own so do not buy eggs to incubate LOL

I almost bought a trio of Greys but I broke my wrist and knew the barn was not going to be here soon enough
sad.png
hopefully this year I can try again if they are available.

Are the Greys also endangered and need heat? So incubating and hatching them is out? The hens always goes broody? I read an old thread here where DMF commented the hens will lay (Palawans) 2 eggs,then go a month and lay 2 more,possibly 6 eggs total for all season.Greys similar? And I thought since Palawans wasn't from the USA, the only place they could be considered endangered would be on the Island of Palawan

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom