Temp dropped overnight to 59!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by genesis1verse1, Mar 1, 2013.

1. genesis1verse1

genesis1verse1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    North East Texas
    Our home made incubator's light bulb went out in the middle of the night (sometime after 2am) and at 7am the temp was at 59. We have it in an un heated area and the outside temp was around 49. I quickly grabbed up as many as I could and warmed them with my body and hands while changing the bulb. Hoping everything will be ok [​IMG] we are on day 14. Incubating 11 eggs right now. Should we candle ASAP or give them a few hours to warm back up? The temps got back to normal by 8:15 AM. Need some reassurance here.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    I'd give them a chance to equalize, the internal egg temp takes longer to warm back up than the ambient incubator temp. I'll cross my fingers for you!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    could you move them to a heated area in case another bulb decides to go out?

4. genesis1verse1

Oct 20, 2012
    North East Texas
    Yes, I will do that. When this hatch finishes, I will be installing a backup lightbulb for sure.

5. genesis1verse1

Oct 20, 2012
    North East Texas
    Well, I went ahead and candled 3 of them and they are still alive. I definitely saw movement in 2 of the 3. Hopefully they will still turn out alright. I will candle them all tonight which I was going to do anyway since it is day 14.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  6. genesis1verse1

Oct 20, 2012
    North East Texas
    Just a quick update to anyone who might care...... I went ahead and candled all eleven eggs tonight just as planned and can now sigh for relief that 10 of the eleven are still living. We got movement in all 10 [​IMG]and the one that we took out was no where near as developed as the others, hardly any black mass and no sign of veins.

7. I read that, if your incubator goes out, you should mimic the natural conditions of if the hen gets up... take of the lid and let them hit room temp until the incubator starts working again.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm glad to hear your chicks are o.k. but keep in mind that this cool down may have delayed their development a bit, so they may hatch out a day or 2 later than expected.

9. genesis1verse1

Oct 20, 2012
    North East Texas
    I will keep that in mind, thanks.

10. genesis1verse1

Oct 20, 2012
    North East Texas
    I'm on day 19 now. I put them in lock down last night. Down to 8 after candling I removed two that were almost clear. I kept 2 or 3 that were not fully darkened. I would say they were about 75% darkened not counting the air pocket. Almost immediately after lockdown we had about 3 that began shaking and vibrating. They are still doing it off and on today. Is this any kind of indicator as to when they might pip the shell and start making their way out? Officially we are in the 19th day. My family and I are all excited, wondering if they might hatch a day early.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by