Temp & Humidity in the coop - actual numbers?

vermontgal

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Salt Lake City / Sugarhood
I just got a wireless thermometer that has a remote probe that measures temperature and humidity, including max/min. I put the remote probe in my coop so I can see how cold it is out there, and how humid. I put it next to the roost, near the top of the coop.

http://www.amazon.com/Weather-Chann...?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1226194586&sr=8-40

I have a second probe that only measures temperature. This is in a shaded location on my front porch, to measure the outside temperature.

So my question is -- does anyone know of a chart or resource for knowing what combination of low temperature and high humidity is bad for chickens?

With this high-tech set-up, I could monitor things and take steps to improve conditions if I start to approach harmful temps/ humidity.

Personally, I think you are thinking way too hard on this. If you have chickens that can handle the cold, ie small combs and thick bodies, you shouldn't have a problem unless you get below zero. As for humidity, we live in Florida and raise primarily heavy breeds and it can be 90 out with 80% humidity and they are all out running around working on their tans. If the snow starts to fly and the temp drops to 20, you might want to put a light out there for them to keep the temp up a bit, but the most important thing is to keep their water from freezing. If you want to see a funny sight, let them out into their run and watch them try to catch the snow flakes. When I lived up north (Washington State), my girls just loved the snow. They would take snow baths and spend half the day chasing snow flakes.

Um, I'm in Vermont (hence the moniker "VermontGal"). We get -25 F normally. In a cold year, we will get -30 F. If possible, I don't want to add a heat lamp. I want to insulate instead - so I am paying attention.

We have been at +20 F many times so far this fall. The chickens don't get anything at +20 F... we have already established THAT!

The concern is humidity + low temperatures = frost bite. I'm not so worried about high temps + humidity.

Edited: to say that I insulated the coop so when the outside temp is 20F, so far the water hasn't frozen inside the coop. But that was before the fancy probe, so I don't know how cold it got in there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom