Temp in incubator won't stablize help

mustangsaguaro

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
San Martin, Ca
Thank goodness not putting eggs in incubator until end of month or beginning of next month but am having problems w/ getting the temp to stabilize. I have a forced air hovabator. It has been on for 3 or 4 days now and can't get temp to stablize. I will literally stand there and watch the temp range anywhere between 98 and 103. What am I doing wrong? I changed out the thermostat (the wafer) thinking it was bad which is a possibility. I have one of those digital thermometers you buy at petco for the reptiles. I'm wondering if the 2nd thermostat wafer I put in was bad too. I have been adjusting temp every few hours to try and get it to 99.5 but having no luck. I'm planning on getting a water weasel/water wiggler as I know those supposedly you want the temp to read 99.5 w/ those. Having no luck finding any yet. Tried both the dollar store and wal-mart. I guess they aren't in season yet. Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated. I'm starting early because I knew getting the temp to the right temp is tricky and it just may take me a stupid month to get it to where it needs to be.

Thanks

When I had that problem, I noticed the incubator was too near a heat vent or air vent, or near a door that opens and closes, and/or a draft. So I would check those definitely. As that seems to be the major problem. It will take about 24 hours to regulate anyway, but make sure it is not near a heat register, etc.,
smile.png

Definately not near a heat register. I have the incubator out in my hay/tack room. It's a small room w/ a door (that is usually open during the day and at night I close it) and has windows. This is the only place I can put it. Can not put it inside where I live as there just isn't enough room. I don't live in a house. Live in a 5th wheel trailer w/ my husband 3 cats and the dog. And there is barely enough room for all of us.

Hey Mustang, I used to live in an RV. We used to volunteer.
smile.png
So I know where your coming from. Hmmm...Do you have to have the door open during the day? If so, can you put hay bales around the incubator? Not too close, but enough to block any cold/hot air?

Last edited:
Does your thermostat look like this one?

67636_two.jpg

If so.. I wouldn't trust that one to tell me my water ice cube is 32 degrees.

I like glass thermometers.. or Water wigglers... That piece of something I can't type on here, isn't worth it's weight in Chicken Poo!

Quote:
No, my thermometer does not look like that one. It looks like this. I got it b/c I plan on getting a water wiggler and it had a probe on the end of it. A few years back I used this same kind and it seemed to work ok.

hfg4vn4S3CBARqICNt4QZ8sHNOX4kEzqqxZspvLp6m6t-BcK22oyCYJOaxvdlROVsv62RgLqcNIfuUiq_tqWZEIeBZMTg04FE34-6fNO2tcaRyvrhWjEJiTAPh4IWCGGjvG-EHnXLmX4fh6_pLdiip91lk_Waw

I have three glass thermometers, and all three read differently in the same bator. I would change out the switch inside your hovabator.

Back
Top Bottom