Temparature for quails

hobopotamus

Hatching
Dec 27, 2021
I live in Kuwait, which is 50 degrees Celsius in summer, and 10 degrees in winter. I was wondering, what temperature I should take them in or out? Currently I am keeping them indoors, so help is needed!

If these are coturnix quail, you don't need to bring them inside at all. the only time I see any issue is during the hottest times. During the really hot days, they will need some way to cool down. Make sure they have shade, and I give mine bottles of ice to lay against.

50 Celsius is 122 Fahrenheit. Here are my speculations based on experiences in a temperate climate. Hottest mine have experienced with cooling measures like fans and misters and without any of them exhibiting distress is 107 F/42 C. That said...
  • 10 C to 32 C, they would probably be fine with shade, water, and airflow.
  • 32-37 C, I'd bring them inside if you can't provide some form of air conditioning like water misters and floor fans, especially if the heat is unrelenting
  • 37 C and higher, it would probably be safest and kindest to bring them inside.
Heat seems to be far worse for quail than cold.

50 Celsius is 122 Fahrenheit. Here are my speculations based on experiences in a temperate climate. Hottest mine have experienced with cooling measures like fans and misters and without any of them exhibiting distress is 107 F/42 C. That said...
  • 10 C to 32 C, they would probably be fine with shade, water, and airflow.
  • 32-37 C, I'd bring them inside if you can't provide some form of air conditioning like water misters and floor fans, especially if the heat is unrelenting
  • 37 C and higher, it would probably be safest and kindest to bring them inside.
Heat seems to be far worse for quail than cold.
Thank you. For the middle section, could ice packs work?

Thank you. For the middle section, could ice packs work?
In my experience, the quail entirely ignored ice packs/frozen water bottles in favor of taking extra dust baths and splaying out in the shade. You should still offer them on hot days, especially in their shelters/coop as it will bring the local temperature down. For the middle section, I'd also try to set up a box fan at least—it makes a huge difference.

Something that I believe helped my birds in the heat was providing them frozen fruit/vegetables almost daily during hight temps. Like, whatever rinds I had from the kitchen, I'd freeze so they could eat the frozen bits off later. They loved melon and gourds particularly.

No joke, if you keep a written record of the temperatures and how the birds behave—a note in morning, noon, and evening—you can learn how the temperature effects them and really calibrate your care based on the environment.

When in doubt, if they can't stop panting, if they seem extra lethargic (like they won't get up or are moving funny), it's time to bring them in.

Back
Top Bottom