Temporary cover

becstalls

Crowing
13 Years
May 22, 2010
Indiana, PA
Hi all. I’m wondering if anyone has any good solutions for temporary cover for a chicken run. The run is about 30’x 50’ (eyeball estimate) with a 4’ chain link fence on two sides, the other two will be chicken wire. The run used to contain a large oak tree, but we had to bring it down because it was rotten in the middle. Long term we are planting some elderberry bushes and a mulberry tree, but for the short term, the chickens will need some cover from aerial predators while the trees and shrubs grow. I’ve thought about using some of the remaining branches from the tree loosely piled up as a place they can get under if they aren’t close enough to the coop, but I’m concerned that might attract other predators. The run will house 12 chickens. Thoughts and suggestions?

Hi all. I’m wondering if anyone has any good solutions for temporary cover for a chicken run. The run is about 30’x 50’ (eyeball estimate) with a 4’ chain link fence on two sides, the other two will be chicken wire. The run used to contain a large oak tree, but we had to bring it down because it was rotten in the middle. Long term we are planting some elderberry bushes and a mulberry tree, but for the short term, the chickens will need some cover from aerial predators while the trees and shrubs grow. I’ve thought about using some of the remaining branches from the tree loosely piled up as a place they can get under if they aren’t close enough to the coop, but I’m concerned that might attract other predators. The run will house 12 chickens. Thoughts and suggestions?
@TudyBOT

Based on your initial post, it sounds like you don't mean an actual roof or covering for your run but more like places where they can take shelter? I like the brush pile idea.

Based on your initial post, it sounds like you don't mean an actual roof or covering for your run but more like places where they can take shelter? I like the brush pile idea.
Correct. I’m not looking to build anything with a roof, or even a tarp, because it’s too windy. Just give them a place to hide if they’re too far from the coop.

Back
Top Bottom