Temporary feed crisis

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SandraMort, Sep 27, 2008.

1. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    I'm not out of broiler food but I will be before Wednesday, when we get paid. The feed store is closed tomorrow but will be open monday. If I pick up some scratch on Monday to stretch the food we have until after payday, will that be horrible for the birds? If so, what else is recommended for short term cheap food? I would need food for two maybe three days tops. Thanks!

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Sandra.....can you get a small bag of regular chick starter? It wont have the high protiene...but is better than scratch.

3. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    An alternitive is to cut grass and take it to the poultry. Time consuming , but it does reduce the feed bill., or at least it does here.

4. cyrixlord

cyrixlord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Monroe, wa
    dont forget veggie scraps and peels. Perhaps flowers!

5. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    How many do you need to feed?

6. You could cut the feed you have 50/50 with scratch or cracked corn would be better and cheaper then scratch, to strech it for a few days. It won't hurt as long as it's only a few days. I've done it.
    Some people purposely feed corn to their meaties to put more fat on them to render.
    I second scraps, my birds will eat anything, I've been giving them tons of tomatoes lately because I had a TON and I wasn't using them fast enough so some were getting too soft or burised and went to the birds.
    How about letting them out to range? They can eat bugs and stuff.

7. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Yes, today's breakfast was leftovers -- whole grain noodles mixed with veggies, some leftover roasted corn on the cob and soon I'll bring out the cheerios that my daughter spilled this morning. While unpacking a box of groceries today, I ran across a box of walnuts that the mice in our old apartment ripped a hole in. I can give him those, too.

I'll go to the store tomorrow when they open to see what's available in small bags, I hadn't thought of that.

There are 70 +/- a few.

Thanks!

8. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Oh, and they spend the day outside, so I'm hoping that will stretch the food some! They've also been snacking on "walnut maggots" and mothy flour.

9. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    [​IMG]

they will be fine, don't worry. all solutions are good whether using leftovers, scratch, etc.

this will be their reaction...HI you're here to feed me? you're my BEST friend.

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Best to feed a good grower, but feeding leftover and garden surplus. Will save you alot on the feed bill. May take a little longer to butcher size, but if the feed is free no harm.
    I like to put my meat birds on pasture, still feed a grower and able to butcher at 8 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by