1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Temptation in the form of a cow?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jaye, Dec 19, 2008.

1. jaye

jaye Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    Waterboro, Maine
    I have often wondered about having a family cow. We have four sons and assorted livestock but have never had a milking critter. The idea been on the back burner until 6AM this morning, when my phone rang. It was a family friend, a semi-retired dairy farmer from central Maine, calling to see if I'd be interested in a Jersey cow due to calve in three weeks. I do have an empty horse stall (12x12 with a 4' wide door) and a reliable source of hay.

Are there any family cow people here?
    Advice? Words of wisdom? Escape plan? [​IMG]

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    No advice on cows (I do have a dairy goat-or 20), but I wanted to tell you you're not alone. I, too, have long wanted a dairy cow. Especially a Jersey!

3. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    I would jump at it-- you have the space and the inclination [​IMG]

Of course, I'm the world's greatest enabler [​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

We have a beef cow herd, but no family milk cows. I did however grow up with a milk cow and dairy goats, and my husband's parents had a dairy. Just be prepared to be tied down....they need to be milked twice a day on a fairly regular time schedule. I think that's the only disadvantage to having a milk cow.

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    and the fact that they need rebred every now and then to keep the milk going, so you'll need to find a bull owner, and be prepaired for birthing. I want to do it someday too (i agree with a jersey)! [​IMG]

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I want these....

http://www.dexterminicattle.com/

Of course, we will have to move...or talk the neighbors in to letting us use their back yard for pasture...LOL

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:
    Me too, but Anne's too lazy to milk it.

Edit: My grandmother had one, and I was always amazed at all that she did with the milk.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  8. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    I agree with Wifezilla there,..Dexter cattle would be the way to go. I have been wanting to get some of them for some while. When you got the money, you have no time and vice versa. A milk cow on the other hand, my husband has been talking smack about getting a milk cow. Too much work for me. When I was a kid we had milk cows and that is all we got done was milking cows. I like to go places too much to have to milk twice a day everyday at the same time everyday. But some people like it,...

9. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    A single milk goat is the only way to go if you're just feeding yourself and your family. It's far far easier.

Then one day when your goats are in production and you have extra milk, then get thet jersey bull calf and raise it for veal.

10. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I'm almost sure that it's the Dexter cow that I recently read an artcle about. It said that the breed has now become VERY dangerous to own. IF I'm correct, they have been crossbred without care to improve meat production; this in turn has produced a modern-day Dexter that's dangerous for other animals in the same field and the people who own/work with it. It's very hard to find one that's actually all "Dexter".
    Somebody please correct me if I'm talking about another breed.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by